Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
My winter bike in front of Scarthingwell Roman Catholic Church, North Yorkshire.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Today's church is St. Mary's in Bentley with very rare sunshine
St. Mary's, Bentley.JPG

Well not quite.

Tried to get to the church (catholic of course - it's a jesuit college) at Stoneyhurst College (to the right of the college in the pic) but foiled by a remote controlled security gate I don't remember being there of old - was always aware that beyond the white metal fence you were entering a sort of inner sanctum but seem to remember riding right up to the college and then doing a cheeky left to go round the back roads.

The gates closing as if controlled by him above after a large poshish car had just gone through.

Hewitt against welcome sign/security cameras. As I took this I thought I heard voices from the cameras or the word of god but it turned out to be the geese.

I will return.

As some may know Conan Doyle came here.

As did JRR Tolkein to stay and visit his son - but that's another story with a pic maybe to follow.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ecton parish church

Saint Mary's Newchurch in Pendle.

Supposedly the last resting place of one of the Pendle Witches, Alice Nutter, in this family grave.

though very unlikely as folks weren't in the habit of burning/hanging "witches" then burying them in consecrated ground, let alone up against the church wall, as this tomb is, which I think tends to be a particularly honoured place.

Top Bottom