Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
2020_03_18_Emmendingen_Flat_16.JPG

MBIFO the wonderfully named Suggental (I think Catholic) church, with typical local farmhouse on the edge of the Black Forest near Freiburg im Breisgau, south Germany

Last edited:
View attachment 509758

MBIFO the wonderfully named Suggental (I think Catholic) church, with typical local farmhouse on the Edge of the Black Forest near Freiburg im Breisgau, south Germany
you think it's catholic?
worried to approach and check?
I recommend stalking with determined gaze towards it making the sign of a cross.

(worked for Christopher Lee)

(I pretty much always go in churches i pause at on the bike - if unlocked)

you think it's catholic?
worried to approach and check?
I recommend stalking with determined gaze towards it making the sign of a cross.

(worked for Christopher Lee)

(I pretty much always go in churches i pause at on the bike - if unlocked)

I was in a bit of a hurry, so I leapt off, took the picture and rode back downhill to catch my train.

Local convention is that Catholic churches have a cross on the spire, where Protestant (ie Lutheran) churches have a cockerel.

As this is also a Catholic area it's a safe bet that the older church in the town is Catholic. In my local protestant region it's usually the other way around.

Saint Helens Waddington.

Waddington was until the 1972 local government act came into force in 1974 in Yorkshire, hence this sign.

It's now safely in the embrace of Lancashire.

Saint Helen was mother of roman emperor Constantine who effectively converted the roman empire to christianity and made western europe christian.

The catholic church and popes used its fabricated Donation of Constantine to claim its temporal authority.

Constantine was raised to emperor by his troops in York.

So, if you'd rather all this god bothering hadn't happened for the last two millennia, blame yorkshire.

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
MBIFO some churches. :blush:

D

Deleted member 1258

The tower of the Church of St Laurence on the climb up through Kings Newnham, all that remains of the 13 century church, the church was built on an earlier pagan site but was allowed to fall into a state of disrepair and most of it was demolished at the end of the 18th century, the tower is being used by the local farmer for storage.

Top Bottom