Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
View from the rear of St Peter and Pauls in Moulton earlier today

Chromatic

Legendary Member
St Peter, Haresfield, Gloucestershire taken this afternoon.

From @Badger_Boom 's sublime above, to the ridiculous, although this church is designated Grade II*.

Apologies for bike being out of shot, the actual ride is posted in "Your Ride...."
So, its essentially Italian Futurism in the town of Amlwch on Anglesey, designed c.1937 by Giuseppe Rinvolucri, reinforced concrete. Not able to get inside so got a pic through one of the side port-holes

Like the name though, 'Our Lady Star of the Sea'.
I also found a 1947 photo of the church in its original setting and pre-frankly awful-renovation

Its amazing what you stumble across in the oddest of places ^_^

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
I've cycled past this one many times, but only today found out that Whepstead Church is dedicated to St Petronilla (the only such dedication in England).

St Petronilla Whepstead cropped.jpg

Petronilla is traditionally identified as the daughter of Saint Peter, though this may stem simply from the similarity of names. It is believed she may have been a convert of the saint (and thus a "spiritual daughter"), or a follower or servant. It is said that Saint Peter cured her of palsy. Stories associated with her include those that relate that she was so beautiful that Saint Peter had locked her up in a tower to keep her from eligible men.

St Petronilla Whepstead door carving1.jpg

St Petronilla Whepstead door carving 2.jpg

The main entrance is knapped-flint faced; I've been unable to establish who the two carvings on either side of the door depict.

Top Bottom