Your Bike in front of a Church

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A couple from today's outing, firstly All Saints in Easton which has an unusual octagonal tower on a square base
All Saints, Easton (2).JPG

And secondly is the much smaller St. Margaret of Antioch (bring out the Holy hand grenade ) in Linstead Parva.
St Margaret of Antioch, Linstead Parva.JPG

I'm sure the more knowledgeable architecturists will be able to correct me if I incorrectly claim Frecheville Methodist Church to be in the art deco style?

A bit like 'The Human League', it may be Sheffield's finest :laugh:

Saint Margaret Clitherow, Threshfield, near Grassington, Catholic.

Interesting building, built 1973 according to this, which also says it only has a congregation of 100.

http://www.stmargaretclitherow.org.uk/

Would have liked to see if the interior was as interesting as the outside, but of course it was all locked due to the damned Covid curse, which they didn't see coming and seem to be in no rush to explain.

Have no idea if those silvery tent poles are structural or just decorative, but they are at least handy for this notice:

Despite its interest, pretty useless for a tired passing cyclist - no gravestones to ponder/admire and no water tap.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Saint Margaret Clitherow, Threshfield, near Grassington, Catholic.
View attachment 545401

Interesting building, built 1973 according to this, which also says it only has a congregation of 100.

http://www.stmargaretclitherow.org.uk/

Would have liked to see if the interior was as interesting as the outside, but of course it was all locked due to the damned Covid curse, which they didn't see coming and seem to be in no rush to explain.

Have no idea if those silvery tent poles are structural or just decorative, but they are at least handy for this notice:

Despite its interest, pretty useless for a tired passing cyclist - no gravestones to ponder/admire and no water tap.
Impressive topiary out front there.

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire - St Mary the Virgin.
Swaffham Bulbeck Church.jpg

Reportedly, the west tower was built in the early 13th century, and is built from locally quarried clunch (from Burwell). (Clunch is a traditional building material of chalky limestone rock used mainly in eastern England and Normandy. Clunch distinguishes itself from archetypal forms of limestone by being softer in character when cut. Yes, I had to look up what clunch is, too. :whistle: )

No bloody pics! Took 3 or 4 at St Ediths in Shocklash this morning, none will load.
The church is Grade I and Norman c. 1150, beautiful setting. When I arrived there was an outdoor service on, i really felt I was intruding so stayed well back and listened.
Here are some online pics, best I can do, but the words the priest said regarding covid will last with me for a long time.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
This is St Mary de Lode in Gloucester.
It is where I grew up and where I married my first wife. To the right of the first pic, of the front, and the left of the second pic, of the back, you can just make out some buildings behind the trees, which are flats where some of my schoolfriends lived.
Those bushes just to the right of my bike in the first pic weren't there when I was a kid and we had drawn some stumps on the church wall and used that as a cricket pitch. The stumps were on the wall perpendicular to the wall with the window in and we bowled from up by the flats. You will all be glad to know we never broke the window.

As an additional historical bonus here is a pic of Bishop Hooper's Monument which is next to the church, it was erected on the spot where he was burnt at the stake by Catholics in 1555. To the left of this monument is a patch of grass where we used to play football. When I was a kid the railings weren't there and I recall spending lots of time sat on the steps of the monument with my mates.

As an aside typing the above reminded me about when my step daughter was at school. She went to a Catholic school and they took their Catholicism a bit seriously, to encourage her rebellious streak I told her to go to the school library and ask them to get her a copy of Foxe's Book of Martyrs, I don't know if she ever did.
Anyway, I've found an illustration of Bishop Hooper's martyrdom from said book.

If any of you are ever visiting Gloucester Cathedral then this church and monument are only about 100 yards from you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom