Your bike in front of a col sign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
It's always nice to find something that passes for a col sign in the UK. On this occasion it seems to mark the name of a road junction rather than the pass itself, which which is still a few hundred yards away. A sombre November scene, though the sun came out for a while later:

View attachment 438646
View attachment 438647
My parents live just over t’hill behind that sign.

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
Col de Rousset, France.

A nice ride up, and a fun descent back down.

Rousset-1.jpg

Rousset view-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I was in the region from 17th September, with a couple of mates joining me about 4-5 days later.

Here's another that I'm sure you will know!

View attachment 443468
Aha, after I'd left. Two absolutely cracking cols, though the descent from col de Menée to Chichillianne is very sketchy, and better as an ascent.

I so rarely see another British cyclist, (other than my guests, obviously), it's always interesting to see when someone else has been there. I do about 3000/4000 miles a year there, and never get bored.

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
Aha, after I'd left. Two absolutely cracking cols, though the descent from col de Menée to Chichillianne is very sketchy, and better as an ascent.

I so rarely see another British cyclist, (other than my guests, obviously), it's always interesting to see when someone else has been there. I do about 3000/4000 miles a year there, and never get bored.
The region was a delight - no flat anywhere to be found but that was part of the appeal.

We did encounter a few English, or English speaking at least, but not many on bikes. Perhaps two.

Oh, while we were down there, we did venture to here...

Ventoux-1.jpg

Not a col in the strictest sense I know. It did live up to its name, too. Very windy at the top - had to lean into the wind to stop being blown off the bike. A sketchy descent too due to the wind, not helped by a puncture halfway down!

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
The region was a delight - no flat anywhere to be found but that was part of the appeal.

We did encounter a few English, or English speaking at least, but not many on bikes. Perhaps two.

Oh, while we were down there, we did venture to here...

View attachment 443487

Not a col in the strictest sense I know. It did live up to its name, too. Very windy at the top - had to lean into the wind to stop being blown off the bike. A sketchy descent too due to the wind, not helped by a puncture halfway down!
I've done Ventoux too, though not a great fan - glad to have been there, but not interesting enough a climb to make me want to revisit.

Actually, flat-wise, the Drôme valley is flatter than anything in Devon, and once you're onto the Rhône valley, it's really pan-flat for great stretches.

If you even go back, let me know, and I'll suggest some routes. If you like cols, my 'local list' of ones over 1000m is here: https://unanglaisendiois.wordpress.com/cols/ You also ought to visit some of the balcony roads too, if you haven't done them.

wp-1472025721257.jpg

Top Bottom