Your bike in front of a col sign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
Ares-1.jpg

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I thought I'd find these if I looked hard enough. The date is July 7th 1986, so something of a lament for lost youth. I crossed Saisies and Aravis later that day, and regrettably haven't been back since :sad:

Mad1a.JPG

Mad2a.JPG

A teensy bit of exaggeration on the part of whoever put up the sign, I think. The Tumble sign further up the thread shows the same tendency - 480 metres would be nearer the mark according to Ordnance Survey.

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
I thought I'd find these if I looked hard enough. The date is July 7th 1986, so something of a lament for lost youth. I crossed Saisies and Aravis later that day, and regrettably haven't been back since :sad:

View attachment 363549
View attachment 363550

A teensy bit of exaggeration on the part of whoever put up the sign, I think. The Tumble sign further up the thread shows the same tendency - 480 metres would be nearer the mark according to Ordnance Survey.
We wanted to do la Madeleine too, but just ran out of time (and legs)

Cronorider

Wish I could find the photo but it was a long time ago. I was bike touring through Europe and my uncle told me I should go to the Col de La Bonette, being the highest paved road in Europe. (There is a higher road in Europe but it is not a through road apparently) So of course, I had to go there! Technically, the Col itself goes up to 2,715 meters, but there is an additional loop that takes you up to 2,802 meters. From there I went to Isola 2000 and crossed over into Italy.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Wish I could find the photo but it was a long time ago. I was bike touring through Europe and my uncle told me I should go to the Col de La Bonette, being the highest paved road in Europe. (There is a higher road in Europe but it is not a through road apparently) So of course, I had to go there! Technically, the Col itself goes up to 2,715 meters, but there is an additional loop that takes you up to 2,802 meters. From there I went to Isola 2000 and crossed over into Italy.
It's certainly a spectacular spot! I was there last year... https://unanglaisendiois.wordpress.com/2016/08/02/col-de-la-bonette/

Top Bottom