Your bike in front of a col sign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
3rd COTD:

img_20170727_125502552_hdr.jpg

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I'm on a bit of a col fest... four over 1100m today, so all in one post. The first one is where the col sign used to be... it's col de Menée at 1402m.

img_20170728_111110021_hdrblog.jpg

img_20170728_132658907_hdrblog.jpg

img_20170728_145500825_hdrblog.jpg

img_20170728_152801681_hdrblog.jpg

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Brian,

Your Col de Mens blog was interesting and the images make it quite appealing.

Really have to get something booked soon before the year is out. Just can't quite decide which area to go to.
I can tell you pretty much all you might want to know about this area, but next to nothing on others. The general thong about here is that there is lots of varied riding, though it lacks the big name climbs. That said, I'd agree with friends who rate col de Rousset (for example) some way ahead of Alpe d'Huez. Plus there's a fraction of the traffic here, even in summer.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
IMG_1877.JPG
Not overly cool, but when I reach this sign each day it's nearly halfway for my ride, plus I get a lovely view of the sea ..

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
That surely can't be the same sign I rode past in 1986, can it? Which makes you wonder what happens to the old ones.

I had a quick look on eBay - no luck.
They regularly get changed, as they get encrusted with the stickers idiots put on. I removed the one that had just been stuck there recently. Though I think this one escapes fairly lightly in comparison with others... the one on the Alps-side of col de Menée was a disgrace before it was removed, graffiti 'n' all.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
They regularly get changed, as they get encrusted with the stickers idiots put on. I removed the one that had just been stuck there recently. Though I think this one escapes fairly lightly in comparison with others... the one on the Alps-side of col de Menée was a disgrace before it was removed, graffiti 'n' all.
Yes, the Mont Ventoux sign recently got that treatment. When I was there in September it was barely readable, but when I returned there in June this year it only had 1 sticker on it (so far).

Top Bottom