Your bike in front of a col sign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

And

Fun sponge
Mont Cenis on a rental bike
DSC_1180.JPG

Iseran on a rental bike
DSC_1171.JPG

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Mont Cenis on a rental bike
View attachment 373318

Iseran on a rental bike
View attachment 373320
Ooh, a new col sign at Mont Cenis - I was there in 2013 with friends...

d5group.jpg

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
You've outdone me with the cols. :notworthy: I'm planning next year's trip to Europe (and the one for the year after that), but it takes quite a bit of planning, since I have to travel over 17,000km just to get to the lumpy bits! :cry:
When will you be there? Probably not when I am - about 26 July till 4 Sept.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
OT, but those Lapierres seem to be quite popular - the local bike shop hires them out at about 20 euros a day, and the two friends who have hired them have said that they are perfectly fine.
I liked the one I used while staying at a cyclists' B&B in the Pyrenees in early July. It was light, easy to use, and ran well.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
When will you be there? Probably not when I am - about 26 July till 4 Sept.
Actually, that's roughly the time frame I was aiming for. This time, I think it will be about 1 week in the Pyrenees, at a cyclists' B&B I visited in early July, then about 2 weeks in the Alps staying at Le Bourg d'Oisans and Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne.

And

Fun sponge
OT, but those Lapierres seem to be quite popular - the local bike shop hires them out at about 20 euros a day, and the two friends who have hired them have said that they are perfectly fine.
I'd agree, it was fine - I had an unfortunate incident with my mech hanger so I needed a rental bike quickly, and that was it. I used my own wheels, and apart from the brakes being 'the wrong way round' it was absolutely fine.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Actually, that's roughly the time frame I was aiming for. This time, I think it will be about 1 week in the Pyrenees, at a cyclists' B&B I visited in early July, then about 2 weeks in the Alps staying at Le Bourg d'Oisans and Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne.
Aha, well if you want to spend a day or three in between those two places (I'm about 2 hours away from Alpe d'Huez), let me know, and I'll show you some cols...

Evenflow

Yep Notre Dame is right, in Provence, within site of Mt Ventoux.
Tried to post a route map but wouldn't accept the extension.
Wish I was there now!

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Notre Dame? i.e. "the col of our lady of the bees"? Just a wild guess.
Well, that's what I thought, but didn't think it could be, as it doesn't make any sense... and I've never seen it on a col sign before. A cathedral, yes, but I've never ridden over one of those.

EDIT - some stuff here, which I'll read a bit more thoroughly later. http://lalumierededieu.eklablog.com/le-symbolisme-des-animaux-l-abeille-p769400?noajax&mobile=1

... apparently bees are a symbol of virginity, hence their link with the Virgin Mary. Mind you, rather ironic, since we talk about "the birds and the bees" with reference to a rather different concept.

Last edited:
Top Bottom