Your bike in front of a col sign

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Evenflow

Yes did the same...got me intrigued

The bee is a symbol of Our Lady. Because of its good working habits, the small honeybee is a well-known symbol for work, good order, and diligence. Less commonly known is that the bee is a representation of virginity. The worker bees have no part in the reproduction of its species, except for that of feeding the baby bees. The responsibilities of “bee parenting” are left to the queen bee and the drones. Since virginity is a virtue we find exemplified to its highest capacity in Our Lady, the bee quite naturally becomes one of Her symbols.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Well, that's what I thought, but didn't think it could be, as it doesn't make any sense... and I've never seen it on a col sign before. A cathedral, yes, but I've never ridden over one of those.

EDIT - some stuff here, which I'll read a bit more thoroughly later. http://lalumierededieu.eklablog.com/le-symbolisme-des-animaux-l-abeille-p769400?noajax&mobile=1

... apparently bees are a symbol of virginity, hence their link with the Virgin Mary. Mind you, rather ironic, since we talk about "the birds and the bees" with reference to a rather different concept.
:laugh:

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Not a col fedt this week, as the weather's been a bit miserable up till now. But a pretty little col nearby:

img_20180409_140008251_hdrblog.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Here's a couple.
Col imbert.jpg

This is just up the road from Manosque, in the Luberon part of Provence.
I was doing a weeks touring, and went partway up Ventoux. The road to the top was blocked by snow.
Brompton M6 with standard gearing.

And this one from Northern France.
cassel.jpg

That's my touring Ribble - 40T chainset, 12-32 cassette and a mishmash of components.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
:banghead: Why do I torture myself looking at these photos? It's still about 4.5 months until my 4 week Pyrénées cycling trip, and the wait is driving me nuts. Then there's the stress of wondering how my plane flight will end up: it goes from Melbourne to Abu Dhabi, then from there to Rome, and guess what's between the latter two places? Yep: Syria! :rolleyes:
Anyway, nice photos as usual, @briantrumpet :thumbsup: The Vercors region really is spectacular, and I envy you your job there.

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
:banghead: Why do I torture myself looking at these photos? It's still about 4.5 months until my 4 week Pyrénées cycling trip, and the wait is driving me nuts. Then there's the stress of wondering how my plane flight will end up: it goes from Melbourne to Abu Dhabi, then from there to Rome, and guess what's between the latter two places? Yep: Syria! :rolleyes:
Anyway, nice photos as usual, @briantrumpet :thumbsup: The Vercors region really is spectacular, and I envy you your job there.
Actually haven't been up to Vercors this year yet - it's been a miserable spring in the region, and the past week it's been too damp/cloudy/cold. The beauty of the Drôme region is that Vercors can be a cool balm in an over-hot summer (40C is not that unusual in July August in the valley), and the valley (to the east/west) and heading south towards Provence provides plenty of riding in the cooler months.

Mind you, train travel's been a bit of a lottery this week, SNCF strikes and all that - no sign of détente yet between Macron and the unions. Had to blag my way onto an earlier TGV this morning to be sure of catching my flight back to grey, drizzly, cool Devon.

Sorry to torture you ;)

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I had a surprise on today's ride. I'm sure some will know it - the Clent Hills which tower over the M5 as it heads into Birmingham:

Kenelms.JPG

Apparently it's a relatively modest 255 metres. I'm looking back to where I'd come from, before heading on the the Lickey Hills and setting sail for home.

Top Bottom