Your bike in front of some water - pictures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice pic but am appalled to see that you appear to have poached a swan from the water, resined it, fired a paintgun at it, then bolted on bits from your spares bin.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
One from this morning's ride

Storm Clouds Gather

'Stanley Ferry'
The Grade 1 cast-iron aquaduct can be seen, with its early 80's sucessor, slightly hidden to its left
Aire & Calder Navigation Canal, crossing the River Calder

I was heading home from work yesterday (circa 14:30), & was going to ride upstream, along the 'R C', & pass through NewLands Woods

From slightly closer
I went along the 'dismantled railway' as the Calder banking was
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4907912

If you scroll down, to the B&W picture of a steam-locomotive reversed to the water, with a large 'metal box', that's what ran on the line
https://www.stanleyhistoryonline.com/Ferry-Lane-Photos.html

Essex's very own tropical island - Osea Island.
I understand that there's a four hour window to get across the causeway and that you are actually allowed onto the foreshore.
Next time I go I'll research the tides in advance.
Interesting place - you can stay there for grades of megabucks.
Would be interested to hear from any of you folks who have ventured over the causeway.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another shot of the River Deben - this time from further up at Melton
View attachment 525270
The wreck in the middle of this picture is apparently called Alpha and turns out not only to have been a fishing boat, but was also used as a minesweeper in the second world war according to a piece in the local paper (warning, if you click the link make sure you have ad blockers turned on as it's one of the Archant titles)
https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/the-alpha-ship-moored-in-river-deben-1-6692669

And

Fun sponge
View attachment 528850

Essex's very own tropical island - Osea Island.
I understand that there's a four hour window to get across the causeway and that you are actually allowed onto the foreshore.
Next time I go I'll research the tides in advance.
Interesting place - you can stay there for grades of megabucks.
Would be interested to hear from any of you folks who have ventured over the causeway.
This is a great example of why I love this forum - I didn't know about Osea Island, now I do! looks like a lovely, if somewhat expensive, place to stay.

This is a great example of why I love this forum - I didn't know about Osea Island, now I do! looks like a lovely, if somewhat expensive, place to stay.
Thanks. You can't actually get to that point with a car unless you have a very good reason. The unsigned road has a barrier on it some time before the island and the only other way is the long path round the estuary.

Last edited:
Top Bottom