Your bike in lockdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any users of google photos will be aware of its tendency to remind you what you were doing on a certain date, sometimes alarmingly so (was it really that long ago?!) so should be an easy post for users.

Dates would be handy.

And any personal memories.

No party pics please or the heirs of Sherlock, particularly the Met, may awake and be on your case.

One/two from me - close - up and long shot.

May 8, 2020.

I very definitely remember this.

The first was my kick-off of the thread "your bike and a tree".

I well remember the mood of that very nice early summer evening - nice in normal circumstances.

Kennington Green, London.

A very melancholy time - London on Lockdown, people very socially distanced - all the benches had tape on them to stop folk sitting on them/anywhere near anyone else.

But in the midst of it the vague vague hope that there was something wonderful left in the world/a promise of a future - the brief optimistic flowering of the paper handkerchief tree as we all kept our distance/obeyed the rules for one and all.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Apr 4 2020. A visit to Mont St Michel

1642166366598.png

Bike not roadworthy after crashing just before lockdown (note electrical tape on the bars where tape was torn off, bars are very bent but that's not clear). Parts hard to come by.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Turns out I wasn't the only one 'making the most of the lovely weather' on 20/05/2020 :rolleyes:
Just checked. I did a (virtual) group interval session that day. Photo would look rather like my photo above, but sweatier, and with a different display.
1642174587164.png

Jody

Stubborn git
Few pics taken while the roads were dead. Not ridden my road bike much since.

The ride though Sheffield was bazaar seeing only 4 people in the middle of a warm sunny afternoon. It was eerily silent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills

Red Arrows May 8 2020 - Lambeth Bridge - memorial of VEDay and those who died, often terribly, to protect our democracy and for a new brighter future.

I well remember that day - cycled in from south London, city a ghost town, hardly any folk at all around for what otherwise would have been quite an event - remember nattering, at a fair old distance, to some south londoners on the bridge - remember remarking that they had been lucky enough to be able walk there.
Caution - pic may include locations in the distance (from us) where folks were partying.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I didn't actually go outside on my bike until the restrictions eased off somewhat later on in the year.

Initially this was because my bike and me were both unroadworthy.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I didn't actually go outside on my bike until the restrictions eased off somewhat later on in the year.

Initially this was because my bike and me were both unroadworthy.
couldn't you fix the bike?
Twas a surreal time to be out and about in London, with no threat to yourself or others - I recommended bike rides into london to some of my neighbours - some took me up on it. Business as usual to some non cyclists of course. But we should count ourselves lucky/untainted.

Solocle

Über Member
18th March 2020 - The Jokes
1642174883746.png

22nd March

Change is in the air. And yet, things are still relatively normal.
1642174737209.png

24th March - First Lockdown Ride
1642174952285.png

And now it was time for a more ambitious ride at the weekend.

Down the A303

28th March
1642174663379.png

29th March - A shopping interlude
1642175121380.png

5th April - look who's back, back on the A303.

This time I did a 50 mile loop, all on A roads. I remember pulling off into a layby to let a patient supermarket van driver pass in a 30, we were the only two vehicles in sight.
1642175284483.png

1642175310411.png

1642175734678.png

May 11th - traffic slowly returning to the A303, Wincanton
1642175425197.png

May 31st - went down the A35 on an MTB.
Also featuring some bridleways (talk about contrasts!).
1642175490572.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
couldn't you fix the bike?
Twas a surreal time to be out and about in London, with no threat to yourself or others - I recommended bike rides into london to some of my neighbours - some took me up on it. Business as usual to some non cyclists of course. But we should count ourselves lucky/untainted.
I had the Brommie I suppose, but I never felt the urge.
My (non cycling) wife and I covered a fair amount of distance locally on foot during 2020.

Top Bottom