Your bike on a bridge pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Which was 'The Great North Road' & a feared climb up The Peth

The name of the hill/road, up to Alnwick and BaliffGate (where the entrance to the Castle is)
October, last year

Alex H

Legendary Member
The name of the hill/road, up to Alnwick and BaliffGate (where the entrance to the Castle is)
October, last year

Thought you might know why it's called that.

Seems to be 'path'

There is also one in Denwick, Wooler, Felton and Allendale - all Northumbrian places
Strangely Morpeth does not have one :ohmy:

Edit: - found it :smile:

PETH, a path ; especially one that is steep and narrow.
The word occurs in more than nine place-names in
Northumberland, as in Mor/>tfA, and Kemmell's or Gamel!' s
path, near the head of Coquet. In a document of 1249 this is
spelt Campasfieth. " The Peth" also occurs alone.

Last edited:

And

Fun sponge
Is a boardwalk allowed? on the cycle track between Darley Dale and Rowsley

a.twiddler

Veteran
Today's ride -a couple of bridges

The "Blue Bridge" which carries the A556 Northwich Bypass over the River Weaver near Hartford, facing East. There is another path on the other side of the barrier on the left which is probably the official cycle path but due to the high speed traffic which hurtles past only feet away, cyclists and pedestrians tend to use the path on which the bike is standing. If the barrier was between the path and the traffic, probably more cyclists would use it. Traffic is back to normal levels here, as far as I can tell. On the far side of this dual carriageway there is also a shared cycle/footpath.
Impressive riveted construction. I don't think they make 'em like that anymore.

This is the view upstream from the bridge. You can just see in the distance the viaduct which carries the West Coast Main line over the River Weaver. I had to climb through the railings shown on the left in the top photo to get enough distance between me and the bike to get the framing I wanted. Just After I took this photo a gust of wind pushed the bike upright and it teetered. I couldn't get back through the railings fast enough and down it went. No damage fortunately. I could have used the sidestand but I just wanted the upright shot.
Down below on the left is part of the cycle and pedestrian way which runs from Winsford to Northwich, the Weaver Way.

This is the bridge over the sluice channel at Vale Royal Locks, a little way further upstream from the distant viaduct shown in the last photo. This sluice controls the river level upstream as far as Winsford Flash. There are two locks here, both designed to take salt boats up to about 500 tons. The locks have gates at both ends, plus gates mid way, to conserve water when catering for smaller vessels. Some more photos might have been helpful! Unfortunately memory card was full, have to delete some stuff.

Top Bottom