Your bike on a bridge pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

And

Fun sponge
Wolfscote Dale (nearly on the bridge)

'The Pinch' (Staffs/Derbys border)

D

Deleted member 1258

Shenton on yesterday's ride.

D

Deleted member 1258

Are you copying me? My profile pic is on that bridge!

Its a bridge I've been using for more years than I care to remember, the antiques centre is just down the road from there, a lovely place to have a wander round, and there's several nice cafes nearby.

Today
During my 'allowed exercise'

'Bridle-Bridge'
Normanton Bypass
(A655)

Looking north-west towards the roundabout with Wakefield Road, at Woodhouse Common
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3675383

It joins up with Elsicker Lane, at the southern side, then as part of the 'Wakefield Wheel', has the option of heading east, on the wonderfully named Butchers Gap Lane

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This isn't strictly a bridge, but it acts as one. My bike (and @Littgull with his) on the magnificent Hewenden viaduct near Cullingworth, West Yorkshire.

Littgull and bikes on Hewenden Viaduct.jpg

It forms part of the Great Northern Railway Trail which hopefully will eventually be extended through the 2.2 km Queensbury tunnel towards Bradford.

Hewenden Viaduct.jpg

This isn't strictly a bridge, but it acts as one. My bike (and @Littgull with his) on the magnificent Hewenden viaduct near Cullingworth, West Yorkshire.

View attachment 522113

It forms part of the Great Northern Railway Trail which hopefully will eventually be extended through the 2.2 km Queensbury tunnel towards Bradford.

View attachment 522114
Yes that was an impressive viaduct and trail, Colin. One of many of our highly enjoyable rides out together.

When this pesky COVID 19 virus is beaten we will most certainly repeat.

Here's a bridge I crossed the other day over the River Roch on my mtb at the derelict Crimble Mill in between Rochdale and Heywood. The site is earmarked for 250 luxury new houses under the Greater Manchester Spacial Framework Plan. There is lots of local opposition to it. Also a picture of the derelict Crimble Mill.

My usual route out from home and back for the first and last 4 or 5 miles of rides is the Rochdale Canal towpath. However, since the COVID situation and lockdown the towpath is too narrow to ensure safe social distancing. This has led me to seek out and discover some very quiet, local and quite obscure tracks to facilitate a variety of short local loops.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes that was an impressive viaduct and trail, Colin. One of many of our highly enjoyable rides out together.

When this pesky COVID 19 virus is beaten we will most certainly repeat.
Unfortunately, I could see that being months away, or even next year!

Here's a bridge I crossed the other day over the River Roch on my mtb at the derelict Crimble Mill in between Rochdale and Heywood. The site is earmarked for 250 luxury new houses under the Greater Manchester Spacial Framework Plan. There is lots of local opposition to it. Also a picture of the derelict Crimble Mill.
I have never looked at that area on the OS map before because it is sandwiched between built-up areas that I don't venture into, except when guided by you!

Off topic comment: I can see why there would be opposition to luxury homes there. If they must build housing there, it would be good if they saved the mill instead and converted that, the way that have done in many places round here. Example, Woodhouse Mill on the side of the Rochdale canal near Todmorden...

(Looks like there might be a rising damp problem for the bottom floor of apartments! :okay:)

Other fine local mill conversions - HERE.

Unfortunately, I could see that being months away, or even next year!

I have never looked at that area on the OS map before because it is sandwiched between built-up areas that I don't venture into, except when guided by you!

Off topic comment: I can see why there would be opposition to luxury homes there. If they must build housing there, it would be good if they saved the mill instead and converted that, the way that have done in many places round here. Example, Woodhouse Mill on the side of the Rochdale canal near Todmorden...

View attachment 522123

(Looks like there might be a rising damp problem for the bottom floor of apartments! :okay:)

Other fine local mill conversions - HERE.
Yes, I agree Colin, definitely better to save the mill structure and convert. Nice pics of such in your link.

I just remembered, here are a couple of pics I took last week on another bimble using previously undiscovered tracks (all decently surfaced). This was accessed via a lane from the outskirts of Castleton (near Rochdale). It's the footbridge over the normally very busy M627 between Rochdale and Oldham. See how quiet the motorway is due to Lockdown!

Top Bottom