Your bike on a bridge pics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zipp2001

Veteran
Gardner Bridge.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
On top of the former CDR railway bridge looking towards Barnes more Gap. I wish the powers that be would either re-lay the railway or else turn it into a cycle path as it would be a beautiful journey.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Ale Water, Sandystones Roxburghshire

20 miles further upstream, Ale Water Reservoir.

I've never seen the reservoir as low as this. The line of the original road could be seen emerging from the water (doesn't show up well in this photo). According to the OS this is a causeway, but the low water level revealed that it is actually a concrete beam bridge.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

My CX on a bridge over the A4500 that's slightly overgrown.
It's supposed to be the Sustran 539 Hamtun Norbital 😂

I reported it on Fixmystreet (several weeks ago) but they don't do stuff like this and they forwarded it to the district council.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
View attachment 604883

My CX on a bridge over the A4500 that's slightly overgrown.
It's supposed to be the Sustran 539 Hamtun Norbital 😂

I reported it on Fixmystreet (several weeks ago) but they don't do stuff like this and they forwarded it to the district council.
What on earth are those bars across the footway? They look lethal for both cyclists and pedestrians.

Bridge over the river weaver a few weeks back. Glorious day for it.

Attachments

• IMG_20210718_112005~2.jpg
    IMG_20210718_112005~2.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 7

On a bridge over the River Hodder in front of another bridge.

The other bridge is "Cromwell's Bridge" as he supposedly marched over it with his troops on the way to the battle of Preston, though I'm not entirely sure if this has definitely been established.

It is the bridge story I think @KnittyNorah prefers over the other one - a possible literary/mythical link - will leave her to add it. Or other wise souls.

edit - just learned that the old bridge, built 1562, grade 2* listed, is actually now on English Heritage's at risk register.

Last edited:
There's a claim that Cromwell's Bridge was Tolkien's inspiration for the Shire's Brandywine Bridge in The Lord of the Rings; in addition the layout of the three converging rivers in the area - Hodder, Calder and Ribble - is very similar to Tolkien's map of the Shire's rivers. Check it if you're a Tolkien fan.

It's certainly true that the bridge would've been present when Cromwell was marching the New Model Army to Preston to fight the Royalists, and it was on his route. It was built as a packhorse bridge around the 1560s, but I have heard from local historians that it was most probable it was only used by the luggage train carrying arms and other supplies that could not be risked in water; everything and everyone else had to go through the water. It would've taken far too long for everyone to cross the bridge which is very narrow, only an animal's width so maybe two people's width. Maybe Cromwell rode across it but maybe he didn't - being at the head of the luggage train wouldn't have been half as impressive, inspirational or encouraging as being at the head of his Army!

When I lived in a nearby village, the local children referred to it as the Fairy Bridge ...

You can still cross it I think - as a kid on an expedition with some friends we picnicked on top of it.

Never heard it called the fairy bridge - maybe me and my mates were more rufty tufty than we thought - always known it as Cromwell's Bridge.

You can still cross it I think - as a kid on an expedition with some friends we picnicked on top of it.

Never heard it called the fairy bridge - maybe me and my mates were more rufty tufty than we thought - always known it as Cromwell's Bridge.
I mean kids nowadays ... different matter! I can't imagine having called it the fairy bridge when I was a child either. It's still walkable, with care. It has no sides on it.

I mean kids nowadays ... different matter! I can't imagine having called it the fairy bridge when I was a child either. It's still walkable, with care. It has no sides on it.
Pah, kids today! Or maybe it's their poncey parents' fault, the ones who possibly gave them poncey names and want to recreate some flowery childhood they possibly feel they missed out on. Teach them some damn history :smile:

Top Bottom