Your Cycling Motivation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
Not a care in the world when I’m out on the bike, lovely relaxing, simple pleasures, do what I want time :becool:
Great wee toddle yesterday, stopped at the top of a big hill for a drink (and rest) spotted a deer in the distance stood and watched until it disappeared into the bushes.
Visited my wee equine pals, the beautiful dun came trotting over as soon as she heard the bell, with a big grin on her face, that was lovely :wub: very therapeutic :smile:
Popped into Asda on my way home for some essentials, (cat food and chocolate) :blush:
Got a few funny looks with my orange crash helmet and purple face :hello: never mind.
Next purchase for the Pashley is a rack!

Venod

Eh up
As a youngster.
The freedom it gave you to go anywhere you wanted on road and off, tinkering with old bikes constantly thinking about how to improve your bike and what bike to get next, club rides with like minded people and a feeling of adventure.
As an old git.
All of the above, but the club rides don't feature as much, I seem to enjoy my own company more nowadays, but keeping fit is an important feature as well, still competing at MTBO is also a big motivation to keep riding.
I am a life long runner/rider, sometimes more running than riding, after a damaged knee 3 years ago I am no longer running so riding has become more important at maintaining fitness.
Any long term runners out there will relate to this.

Sharky

Guru
Love all aspects of cycling, but over the years, the one thing that has kept me going is the desire to ride time trials. Never particularly fast, but the desire to hit the start line each spring keeps me going and to try and beat the time I did last year. The years when I haven't raced it was easy to put other things before cycling and one missed weekend, quickly becomes a month and then a whole year. The commitment to riding our weekly 10's keeps me going, even though some weeks this is all I do.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Pretty much all that has been said. I don't think I will be playing rugby this season, having picked up one final injury last year, so cycling is my only way to keep fit and keep the weight down. It is great way of grabbing some me time and spending time in some beautiful countryside. Having discovered the joy of the multi day tour this year that will be something I will be returning to next year, with a little bit more training ! Apart from 15 mins each way on a Boris Bike I'm not much of a commuter or utility cyclist - this is something I need to change.

Sixmile

Veteran
  • Motivation? I have to get to work to get money to live.
  • I whinged about the traffic on the motorway each morning so I was motivated enough to do something about it.
  • I've set monthly and annual targets that have pushed me a little when needed i.e. every month for the last two years, I've cycle commuted more each month than what I've driven. When it's tight, I'll cycle commute in conditions where previously I would've taken the car.
  • Setting a good example to my wife and kids. My kids have subsequently became very interested in riding everywhere, wife less so.
  • It saves money, loses fat.
  • I like flexing my legs

pjd57

Veteran
And the freedom of knowing I don't have to wait for the bus, or for that matter sit in a traffic jam, or pay out a fortune for this...
My house to Glasgow city centre , approximately 5 miles.

Walk to bus stop. Wait on bus. Sit in traffic . Allow 1 hour. ( Might take longer )

Get bike out. Go. 30 minutes ( maybe less )

classic33

Leg End Member
I enjoy the mechanics, and need the exercise to help stave off weight. I'm absolutely no good at it, if there even is such a thing. I also enjoy the solitude when out riding. I need to do more of it just for that, but other bits of life get in the way.
I'd love to 'commute', but playing bass in a rock band isn't something easily doable on a bike...
Doable
3812e9c07457259fb22ba6e761b2cbcb--guitars-bicycle-design.jpg

images-1.jpg

I enjoy the mechanics, and need the exercise to help stave off weight. I'm absolutely no good at it, if there even is such a thing. I also enjoy the solitude when out riding. I need to do more of it just for that, but other bits of life get in the way.
I'd love to 'commute', but playing bass in a rock band isn't something easily doable on a bike...

There's at least one band that tours using Xtracycles, and I've seen someone pack a drum kit into a cargo bike.

My wife transports her cajon by Bakfiets on occasion.

TigerT

Veteran
I cycle because I’ve had problems with my legs and back since birth. It causes me to walk with a limp.

When I was young the doctor suggested to my parents that the best way to help it would be riding a bike or swimming. I’ve always hated swimming so was given a bike.

I found I loved cycling, it was the one thing I could do that wasn’t affected by my issues.

Fast forward to 9 years ago when I moved to Switzerland. That reignited the passion to the point that it’s probably now an obsession. At the age of 51 I even started going to a personal trainer with the aim of losing weight and improving my cycling. This has exceeded my expectations and I’m loving cycling more than ever. Just as well as the growing number of N+1’s take a lot of exercising!

My goal since I was young was to ride 100 miles in a day and I finally made it last month.

gbb

Legendary Member
Why IS anyone ( particually as a kid) attracted to cycling ?. I don't know why i was....i just loved tinkering with them even at say 12 years old, stripping them down etc etc. I never got rid of that 100 mph mentality on a bike either....60 YO and still i can't (and don't want to) bimble. :tongue:

There's at least one band that tours using Xtracycles, and I've seen someone pack a drum kit into a cargo bike.

My wife transports her cajon by Bakfiets on occasion.
Fair enough, but even a very good cargo bike would struggle to carry me and 120kg to a gig 70 miles away, and back...
The new jazz trio requires much less, and with a rehash of (shiny new!) equipment, it would be feasible using a repurposed DoggyRide trailer on a standard bike!

Top Bottom