Your Cycling Motivation?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
C2C, Ventoux,Huez,Tourmalet,130km Tour of Flanders 6 times, Ride London on a Brompton, it's crazy, I'll bike 100miles but I can't walk 100 yards :smile:
I really wish more folk in those motability scooters would just try riding a bike. It would do wonders for their self esteem.

Crikey - I feel embarrassed at the pitiful distances I ride.

Well done you!

Do you share this inspiring story on eg a blog? I ask in relation to your last two sentences.

Katherine

Guru
My motivation... I'm disabled and was offered a double lower leg amputation. I was bored one day and went for a ride before they were cut off, I found it cleared my head and made me feel good. So I went on a longer ride the next day..... and the next etc etc. The circulation and muscle mass improved and 11 years later I still have both my legs, they're not much good for walking or standing but they get me up and down a few hills etc, I did Huez last week :smile:
Wow, from me three!

Spoons47

I’m a newbie to this forum and love seeing people’s stories. Hear is mine!
First of all, I LOVE CYCLING.
I’m 54 years old and in December last year I was 14 stone 8 pounds. I went on a low carb diet coupled with the running couch to 5K program. I’m now 11 stone but after completing the couch to 5K was utterly bored of running. So I dusted off my old ridgeback MTB and started just going round the block and Tesco’s and back. I thought how can I keep the weight off and start to eat some more carbs and have a few beers! Took the bike round to my mate who gave it a service plus then watched 100s of you tube videos on bike maintanence, bought by self that incredible degreaser tool and the bug was starting to take hold. Then my 14 year old son started coming out with me and I realised what a great way to spend quality time and get him off “Fortnight”.
I then broke the bank and bought a new hybrid bike and really miss the time when I’m not sitting on it. I’ve done the Worth Way Crawley to East Grindstead a few times and can’t believe the sense of freedom and well being that you get, not to mention when the endorphins kick in later. I have already upgraded the pedals for better grip and enjoy so much the maintenance side of things. Then you have this community, backed up by strava. I have decided to follow the fitness program on cycling weekly to get stronger and fitter, which involves 3 different rides per week. I believe this will easily keep the weight off as well as doing a Sunday afternoon pub cycle, with my best mate.
There is no better feeling than conquering that big hill and freewheeling down the other side.
Onwards and upwards

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Some very inspirational posts in this thread, very humbling :smile:

My motivation as been the CC distance challenges. I noticed the 2016 50km a month challenge and thought i`d have a go at it. I did not know if I had it in me after only doing 700 miles in the whole of 2015, but I surprised myself and bagged over 50 rides at that distance, including my first 100km and 100 mile ride. I then moved up to the 100km challenge for 2017 and again surprised myself by doing 38 rides at that distance with 7x100 mile rides done on the way.

I have been hugely influenced by @13 rider and @Supersuperleeds who I ride with now and again :notworthy: , they do the CC imperial century a month challenge, so with some trepidation I thought that I would have a go at it for 2018. I`m doing ok and i`v done the first 8 months of the year, but like every challenge that i`v done since I started them I seem to have gone a bit ocd :blush:. Sunday`s 100 miler was my 29 of the year :ohmy:... Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could do something like this :wacko: I`v gone from a target of 12 for the year to 24 and now 40 :crazy:

On a mission :bicycle:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Reason for cycling is just because I like it. I could analyse why, but I won't bother.

Motivation, the thing I use for clearing away excuses, getting me out in bad weather, and keeping me focused is - like @Lilliburlero the CC monthly challenges.

Well said @Dogtrousers . There is no chance I would be doing what i`m doing now without the CC monthly challenges. They have shaped me mentally and physically. My hardest ton this year was the first of two that I did in February, but it was the most satisfying because it was the toughest. The challenge is all the motivation you need, sometimes you have to tough it out :bicycle:

C R

Guru
I am in my mid forties, have a very sedentary job and I am type 1 diabetic. I have never exercised regularly, but luckily I always managed to not put on weight. This started to change when I turned 40, and my weight started to go up, not a lot, but enough to make my diabetes control slightly more challenging. Also, as our children grew up, I started having a little bit more free time now and then.

With this in mind in July 2016 I dusted off the old clunker I had bought fourth hand as a student in Manchester in 99. On the first ride only three of the five rear gears were accessible, and had to walk to the top of the first hill I attempted. So started digging around for info on bikes. First I gave the bike a thorough service, then some upgrades, now only the frame, the seat and the handle bars are left from the original.

From 280 miles in 2016, started commuting and doing longer rides. Just managed two metric halves in two consecutive weekends. My diabetes control has improved, I have stopped putting on weight, and I have now started thinking of an n+1. What's not to like?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Some very inspirational posts in this thread, very humbling :smile:

My motivation as been the CC distance challenges. I noticed the 2016 50km a month challenge and thought i`d have a go at it. I did not know if I had it in me after only doing 700 miles in the whole of 2015, but I surprised myself and bagged over 50 rides at that distance, including my first 100km and 100 mile ride. I then moved up to the 100km challenge for 2017 and again surprised myself by doing 38 rides at that distance with 7x100 mile rides done on the way.

I have been hugely influenced by @13 rider and @Supersuperleeds who I ride with now and again :notworthy: , they do the CC imperial century a month challenge, so with some trepidation I thought that I would have a go at it for 2018. I`m doing ok and i`v done the first 8 months of the year, but like every challenge that i`v done since I started them I seem to have gone a bit ocd :blush:. Sunday`s 100 miler was my 29 of the year :ohmy:... Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could do something like this :wacko: I`v gone from a target of 12 for the year to 24 and now 40 :crazy:

On a mission :bicycle:

Brilliant story. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom