Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A hissing swan from this morning's stroll .

IMG_20170702_110408413.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I spent a good while watching bats flying around outside my window last night. 3 was the most I every saw at one time and I assume they were pipistrelles*. I guess that when daylight lasts so long they're too hungry to wait for full on darkness. They're incredibly agile flyers.

*my spellchecker didn't like pipistrelles and helpfully suggested spitefullest. Huh?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Whilst out and about yesterday was treated to two more Kestrel strikes, one on the centre reservation of the A1! Biggest treat of all was a Barn Owl crossing the field next to the road at about 4.30....must have some hungry young to be out hunting at that time.

Comedy moment yesterday evening. The farmer has put the latest heifers and calves into the field next to the caravan. Two of the calves were being teased by a pair of crows. The crows landed in a patch of thistles and the calves ran towards them, head down and curious. The crows jumped and flew maybe ten yards and landed again. The calves gave chase, and the crows repeated the jump and ten yard flight. The calves split up and went after a crow apiece, and they responded by splitting up, landing a couple of times before regrouping in the thistles. The calves got all giddy, running and skipping at the crows, before one of their mums ran across concerned at what was going on. She nudged her calf towards the fence, where it circled her and ran back after the crows. This must have lasted a good five minutes, before both mums started bellowing, which set all the others off! Who needs TV?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
There were 2 young magpies on the lawn this morning. At least I'm guessing they were magpies and not cragpies because, with the lack of a fully grown tail, they looked like a cross between a crow and a magpie.

There was a bit of a commotion going on outside a few minutes ago. Some Blackbirds were sounding off, we thought it was probably the neighbours cats prowling around. My wife looked out of the backdoor to see a female Sparrowhawk carrying a bird in it's talons, the bird flew so close that it almost hit my wife. The hawk was in a bit of a panic as it almost collided with my garage and kitchen, it was being chased by a Magpie and 2 Gulls which followed it to some trees at the bottom of my garden. The Magpie landed in the same tree and continued to scold it until the hawk flew off without the bird.
We assume that the Magpie ended up with the bird.

MikeG

Guru
Nearly stood on him /her, upside down at my back door...
View attachment 361094
Lesser Stag Beetle apparently....this one was about 25mm long.

Which reminds me. A few weeks back we were standing admiring the pond when we heard what sounded like a twin rotor helicopter approaching at speed. It was a great diving beetle. It landed in the pond. I hope it hasn't laid any eggs, and we haven't seen it since. Our immature pond isn't yet ready for such a predator.

Top Bottom