Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Over Alconbury airfield, a flock of lapwings looking for all the world like a mutation of starlings, sweeping round, forming long thin threads in the sky, then whirling round and round, albeit slowly. Must have been 200 of them perhaps.

The usual Red Kite near Stilton, maybe 20 of them.

philk56

Guru
A Crested Tern. Fairly common around here I believe but a first sighting for me:

2018-02-22_104320.jpg

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
No spots as such, but my youngest daughter ordered a wildlife pond through her inquisitive wish list. Labour supplied by moi. I have acquired a 230 litre storage tank from a client who is having some work on their Old Vicarage. So far I have dug 99% of the hole. Just over 2 foot deep. The first foot is lovely top soil and the rest is limestone rock. :training:

Can’t wait to buy some plants and let all the wildlife move in. Wonder if the chickens will pick off the tadpoles and newts?

delb0y

Legendary Member
A buzzard and an egret (I think). The buzzard was perched on a fence post just inside a field. The field was frosted over and the sun was low and it would have made a lovely photo. I turned and circled back and had a second look, but he flew away even as I considered making a move for my Fuji. The egret was in a field alongside the canal. I didn't know we had any round these parts but a look through my RSPCB book suggests that's what it was.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A buzzard and an egret (I think). The buzzard was perched on a fence post just inside a field. The field was frosted over and the sun was low and it would have made a lovely photo. I turned and circled back and had a second look, but he flew away even as I considered making a move for my Fuji. The egret was in a field alongside the canal. I didn't know we had any round these parts but a look through my RSPCB book suggests that's what it was.

Living where you live, Cattle Egret is a real possibility, particularly as it was in a field rather than actually next to the water. They are increasingly regular and there are quite a few wintering in SW this year. Little Egrets are much more common

Whichever egret it was, lovely to see

MikeG

Guru
.......Wonder if the chickens will pick off the tadpoles and newts?

Yes they will, as will those cute visiting mallards, and crows will get in on the act too. For at least 3 years you'll need to dissuade them, and the only thing I have found that works is a net over the pond in spring/ early summer. Three years because that is how long it takes to establish a breeding population of frogs. I wouldn't worry about the newts so much. Whatever happens they seem to find a way of surviving.

ETA....Don't forget a log pile nearby. Frogs spend most of their lives away from the pond, and love a good log pile.

Last edited:
Top Bottom