Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is what my wife spotted on our washing line yesterday.

A female Sparrowhawk.
IMGP0991.JPG

Attachments

• IMGP0994.JPG
    IMGP0994.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 3

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Emergence of flying ants in the garden today.

IMG_20190823_151253.jpg

Loads of flying ones but also the non-flying ones are all going mad. Wonder what that's all about?

Edit: a few hours later nothing.... you'd never know they were there. Most strange

Last edited:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Red Grouse.jpeg

Red Grouse on summit of Barrow in the Lake District yesterday. I haven't went fell walking for 9 years due to thinking a knee injury is worse than it is, and not pushing myself following operations. I decided to go because my Dad passed away on Saturday morning, after suffering from Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia for the past 4 years. Just felt like the place I wanted to be, lovely day, get away from things. I've seen these before, usually just fly up out of the heather if you get within several feet of them. I've never seen one like this before. It was within 2 feet of people, was very vocal, really distinctive call that was amusing, also the way it moved, I get the whisky advert now. It wasn't fazed by anything at all.

I've been reading about them and they are not a really social bird, but I guess that is not always the case. It's made me a feel a lot better to get out in nature, I somehow feel that this bird was connected to my dad in someway. A positive message. Just something out of the norm. Probably talking utter sh1te, but it made me feel a lot better so I'll take it..

file1.jpeg
file-6.jpeg

Cavalol

Guru
Every now and then I let our dog decide which way he wants to walk. Today, he sort of decided not to take our usual route and cut through a shorter way instead. Just happened to look in the greenery next to the path and saw this little fella (or lady, I didn't ask) asleep...

IMG_20190922_155601.jpg

Didn't see any of his/her family about so rang the hedgehog rescue people to ask for advice. Seems they shouldn't be seen in daylight so they asked me to bring it to them tomorrow, so it's currently snuggled up in a box in the shed with some water and cat food. It managed to lie in the cat food before possibly deciding that's not a good idea, then ate the bits that fell off it's spikes! Lovely little thing, hope it's ok tonight and ready for a trip to the rescue place tomorrow.

IMG_20190922_162043.jpg

Top Bottom