Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A question from some of you knowledgable nature watchers. I was riding along the local river yesterday and saw some large black birds that looked for all the world like cormorants infesting the lighting booms and signs around one of the large lock gates. The only problem is that we are about 600k from the sea. I know freshwater cormorants exist, but that far inland it seems a bit unlikely, especially on a river used by barges. Any thoughts?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A question from some of you knowledgable nature watchers. I was riding along the local river yesterday and saw some large black birds that looked for all the world like cormorants infesting the lighting booms and signs around one of the large lock gates. The only problem is that we are about 600k from the sea. I know freshwater cormorants exist, but that far inland it seems a bit unlikely, especially on a river used by barges. Any thoughts?
The RSPB says that groups of cormorants are often seen inland: https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/cormorant/

I've only seen them inland in London, where they are abundant. The Thames at that point is still tidal. However, you'd never see them 20 years ago. Give them fish, clean up the water, and they will come, seems to be the London lesson.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
From https://ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/cormorants/faq.htm
"Q: Surely, cormorants are considered seabirds – why are they found inland?
A: It is true that the Atlantic race (carbo sub-species) has commonly been regarded as a seabird. This sub-species breeds almost exclusively on the rocky coasts of Norway, Great Britain and western France, and some birds moved inland recently to over winter and feed on freshwater habitats. In addition, some birds of this sub-species now choose to breed at inland sites where they can mix with birds of the sinensis sub-species.

The continental race (sinensis sub-species), in contrast, has historically always utilised inland as well as coastal sites. Even when numbers were relatively low in the past, there were some breeding colonies on inland lakes and large, lowland river systems. In winter many individuals from coastal sinensis colonies would cross over inland regions on their flyway south, resting and feeding on inland waters. Since the recent large increase in cormorant numbers across Europe, many more birds of this sub-species now occur at inland sites during as well as outside the breeding season. 'Surplus birds' from breeding colonies have emigrated and founded new colonies at inland waters.

The reason that more birds of both sub-species now occur at inland sites reflects, in part at least, the increase in their numbers and the availability of food and suitable habitat. Whereas most major European rivers have experienced a decline in fish abundance, a number of sites like open reservoirs, man-made gravel pits and a large number of fish farms provide good foraging opportunities for cormorants.

Overall the vast majority of cormorants present in Europe are found near to large waterbodies and wetlands both during and outside the breeding season. Moreover, the current legal protection afforded to cormorants make it possible for the birds to breed, roost and feed much closer to densely populated areas than they would have been allowed to in the past. At present, both coastal areas and inland waters provide favourable conditions for cormorants, and the birds are able to adapt their behaviour to exploit the feeding and breeding opportunities available to them."
The map in this link shows quite a few breeding colonies, albeit mostly small, throughout most of Germany.

johnblack

Über Member
I see plenty of Cormorants in MK, probably because of the large number of lakes.

I was listening to a podcast this morning about how the increase in Cormorant population has had a large impact on the salmon (not farmed) population as has an increase in the seal population. It's very difficult trying to manage the balance.

That's for the replies. I looked at the map and it looks like there may be a colony near here. I'm surprised they can get the fish where I saw them: I was about 10k downstream of the last point of navigation on the river which is a small but active port. Still, it's good news.

I don't think we have seals though. I suspect the local populations will get themselves sorted out, on small scale things like this nature does seem to reset itself.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Flying over Boulmer beach today. No idea what they are - wide angle lens on the camera.:sad:

View attachment 493339
Probably Pink Footed Geese although to be fair it's hard to be definitive identifying dots

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Almost certainly a grey wagtail (which, confusingly, has a lot of yellow on it). To be fair they look similar. Yellow wagtails are summer visitors. They also don't really occur in gardens whereas grey wagtails do in winter
Good point! Over the years we've had pied, grey and yellow wags in the garden, not recently though, as we don't have the pump on for the stream as frequently.

Top Bottom