Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
We had a look round the garden perimeter and basically only 2 places where the Hedgehog can get through so placed the camera on Friday night and we have had these pictures ^_^

geocycle

Legendary Member
New neighbour inspecting the soffits!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Sat by our local lake yesterday and a cormorant flew in.

Watched it diving a few times, then wow! Up it came with an absolutely mahoosive fish in its beak, about half the size of the cormorant. "No way will it swallow that!" thinks I.

Wrong. Straight down the hatch, wriggling like mad. Cormorant looked a bit phased for a while, swimming around looking distracted like it had a huge fish flapping around inside it! Then off it flew.

Fantastic creatures.

Sat by our local lake yesterday and a cormorant flew in.

Watched it diving a few times, then wow! Up it came with an absolutely mahoosive fish in its beak, about half the size of the cormorant. "No way will it swallow that!" thinks I.

Wrong. Straight down the hatch, wriggling like mad. Cormorant looked a bit phased for a while, swimming around looking distracted like it had a huge fish flapping around inside it! Then off it flew.

Fantastic creatures.

There's a small colony of cormorants near Stuttgart: I've seen them lurking on the huge lights above the equally massive lockk gates on the Neckar river in Esslingen, about 600k from the sea.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
As I know nothing about hawks can someone help identify it for me? I've pencilled in sparrowhawk as a possibility but I really couldn't say. It's over woods in SE London with a second one nearby.

Looks like a buzzard to me.
I don't think so - unless it's tucked it's tail into a narrower shape than usual. (Are Sparrowhawks smaller than buzzards/kites? I've never knowingly seen one.)

-------------------
Went for our first 2021 team coffee at lunchtime from the site "Costa" franchise. Drinking them in the sun, a heron flew over. That's a bird that can't be mistaken for anything else in the UK!

I don't think so - unless it's tucked it's tail into a narrower shape than usual. (Are Sparrowhawks smaller than buzzards/kites? I've never knowingly seen one.)

-------------------
Went for our first 2021 team coffee at lunchtime from the site "Costa" franchise. Drinking them in the sun, a heron flew over. That's a bird that can't be mistaken for anything else in the UK!

yes a lot smaller, a female spar is a lot smaller than a male buzzard for example

Top Bottom