Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Took the dogs to Mothecombe beach this afternoon. We saw some Wigeon and a Little Egret.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Set our camera up to watch a feeder full of niger seeds over the weekend expecting to see gold finches but i got a nice blue tit instead

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Seven redwings perched on a tree in our inner urban road yesterday. I have never knowingly seen any before. They are apparently winter visitors that are not uncommon in the countryside but definitely a first for me. Close relatives of the thrush, they differ by having the reddish side-streak and the white flash over the eye. Picture below is not mine but shows how the bird got its name:
1615543112034.png

My bird book says it migrates at night, so I wonder if they got blown into town with the strong winds of the previous night.
https://www.birdguides.com/articles/identification/redwing-and-rarer-relatives-photo-id-guide/

Last edited:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Peregrines are nesting on a ledge on central Nottingham's Newton Building for the 20th year in succession.
I was working in a building opposite, unfortunately below the level of the ledge, when the first ones appeared and watched their courtship and subsequent fledglings. Link here: Peregrine Nest Cam | Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust

Edit: that spring, 20 years ago, was also my first sighting of a Black Redstart, on a flat roof adjacent to my office. My work rate may have suffered that day.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
No decent picture sadly, but I've just learned that wood pigeons take showers. I know birds bathe, but I never knew any of them showered.

I'm currently watching a wood pigeon sitting on an exposed tree branch across the road; The heavens opened, and he started putting a wing in the air, like when a human puts an arm in the air in the shower to wash under their pits. He'd alternate wings so both sides got a good dousing. It was comical, I expected him to grab some soap and start singing. Once the rain stopped his wings went down and he started preening under his arm pits wing pits.
I surprised the Google AI no doubt with the batsh1t enquiry "Do pigeons shower?" And RSPB said yes, it is a thing! Wood pigeons prefer to use falling water to shower in rather than bathing in pools like other birds. They've been seen using public fountains in the same way. I'm not sure why but that's delighted me.

Top Bottom