Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
IMG_20211026_112153.jpg

Gillstay

Über Member
Stopped for a natural break on my ride today near Dunford Bridge and these little fellas caught my eye

View attachment 612718

A quick Google Lens when I got home says they're Alder Leaf Beetles. Seems an interesting insect. Long thought extinct in UK but they were found near Manchester in 2004 and suspected to have arrived in some foreign alders. Since then they've spread but are still uncommon

I'm rubbish on tree leaves. Is that an Alder they're on?
Yes that is Alder. And I have never seen those beetles. thanks.

Gillstay

Über Member
View attachment 614254

Sat on my garden fence earlier today.

I'm not sure if it's anything to do with the dead pigeon by my back door that I've just had to scoop up and dispose of!!
Yes it more than likely did and if you had left it they often come back later and take them away. Oddly if you move then just a couple of feet to one side they will not spot them in my experience. You chucked his dinner away. ^_^

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yes it more than likely did and if you had left it they often come back later and take them away. Oddly if you move then just a couple of feet to one side they will not spot them in my experience. You chucked his dinner away. ^_^
It was great to see one close up, but not too often! ^_^

Chief Broom

Veteran
Had a pleasant walk along Brora beach today between showers. A big flock/skein of geese went over- would guess around 400,
probably Greylags. Watched a Guillemot fishing close in, it would pop his head under and look around rather like person snorkaling and then dive for a sandeel. Big groups of ringed plovers in their hundreds. Couldnt see any terns today reckon they've gone and will see them again in the spring.

DRM

Guru
No pic but leaving the last job down a dirt road with woodland each side, I had 2x rabbits run out in front of the van, closely followed by 4x deer

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Hope all your hogs are big & fat enough to hibernate. My neighbour found a couple of small ones in the garden about a month ago & took them to a rescue place. One was sent back with instructions to fatten up over the next few weeks - hopefully it's doing so. I don't know what is eating the food I put out - fingers crossed it's the hog & not a rat.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hope all your hogs are big & fat enough to hibernate. My neighbour found a couple of small ones in the garden about a month ago & took them to a rescue place. One was sent back with instructions to fatten up over the next few weeks - hopefully it's doing so. I don't know what is eating the food I put out - fingers crossed it's the hog & not a rat.
They seem big enough and they haven't touched any food that we put out for last week or so

Top Bottom