Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Starlings, Crawley.
03704261-9184-42F8-8499-2384BC1EB428.jpeg

F9B22EC8-93C5-45D7-8E90-CE46C31D77AF.jpeg

AndreaJ

Veteran
The starlings are back, they appear each winter in the same place although there’s probably more to come yet. It’s fascinating to watch and difficult to get a clear picture on my phone as there are so many of them moving so fast!
3EF36D06-8488-494E-8122-0BF26F6DA447.jpeg

361A3441-7BAB-42AC-A870-4E11D0AFACCA.jpeg

423DCDB7-E05D-4739-92F9-C96B6443B2F3.jpeg

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
About 5 weeks ago, something dug a rather large hole under our short front fence.
I suspected badger; there were 4 hairs which looked right to my untrained eye.
Small pieces of crust spread with peanut butter put out at dark were gone by next morning, but could have been taken by squirrels or rats, so not diagnostic, though strongly indicative.
Time for a new toy, a Browning trail cam! Badger appeared just after 3 this morning. It came into view about 12 minutes later, doing a U-turn to explore next door's garden, then again when it left, about 12 minutes after that. Sorry, don't know how to / can't upload mp4 footage.
Attempted conversion to jpeg didn't work either, and I don't intend to set up a youtube channel. Any suggestions for a simple solution?

Edit: managed to convert a frame to jpg. Not convinced the temp is correct!

Last edited:
I saw 2 Sparrowhawk's flying together this morning . At first I thought the second bird was a Jackdaw trying to mob it but it turned out to be another hawk . They were flying a bit apart but we're flying in the same direction and flight path . They looked the same size , female I assumed. They separated flying off in different directions, the second bird flew on straight for a while doing some jinks and then altered course to catch the other one up . I assumed that they were on a training flight !

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A dipper

Well, I didn't see it but I definitely heard it. They have a very characteristic rasping call when they fly

The river that runs through Glossop is good habitat for them but I don't see them. But I heard one today when cycling in the town where the river flows under the road.

I presume they must breed locally. The weather isn't harsh so they will still be on their usual territories

Gillstay

Über Member
I saw 2 Sparrowhawk's flying together this morning . At first I thought the second bird was a Jackdaw trying to mob it but it turned out to be another hawk . They were flying a bit apart but we're flying in the same direction and flight path . They looked the same size , female I assumed. They separated flying off in different directions, the second bird flew on straight for a while doing some jinks and then altered course to catch the other one up . I assumed that they were on a training flight !
Interesting. They could be two newly fledged rather than adults as male and female differ in size in Sparrowhawks.

Top Bottom