Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From a couple of weeks ago in Newquay.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

What's today's new visitor to my bird feeder, please?

Edit: Great Spotted Woodpecker, I believe..

Last edited:

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Thanks, so this one is a male? The head is brown, though. [edit] Female - its back seems to be more brown than grey

View attachment 621101

She is getting to be a right pain, working through our bluetit population at a rate of knots. Bearing in mind that previous ones have gone solely for blackbirds and small pigeons, she seems to be treating the bluetits as some kind of amuse bouche.

I think we will have to try a few days break from topping up the feeders to force her elsewhere, unless anyone has a better idea.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
View attachment 622950

View attachment 622951

What's today's new visitor to my bird feeder, please?

Edit: Great Spotted Woodpecker, I believe..
Not only that, I think you've got two birds visiting. The red marks on the head are the giveaway. Red mark on the back of the head is an adult male, red mark on the front is a juvenile. So I think the first is a juvenile, the second an adult male.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Not only that, I think you've got two birds visiting. The red marks on the head are the giveaway. Red mark on the back of the head is an adult male, red mark on the front is a juvenile. So I think the first is a juvenile, the second an adult male.
I only saw one, but hopefully it was as you say. I've not seen it/them since, but I can't watch all the time.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Bold badger on Christmas eve morning (tautology alert), fancying the contents of our pigeon-proof feeding cage of 50mm clematis net.
Wilko's finest suet pellets with insects, dried mealworms and dried calci worms, whatever they are.

Festive fox this morning, used a different technique of flattening the cage, something the woodpigeons have tried and failed.

and a bonus Blackcap, eating kibbled peanuts.

Merry Christmas to one and all.^_^

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Out in Cheshire on NYE and stopped to eat a snack near Radbroke Hall, Knutsford

"kronk"......"kronk"......"kronk"

Unmistakeable call of a Raven. Then I saw it flying around the treetops. I don't think I've ever seen one in Cheshire before. A quick google tells me they are increasing and about 25 pairs nest in Cheshire so perhaps not that much of surprise to see one although most are in the W of Cheshire near Wales (which is where they have expanded from apparently)

Ravens are super easy to identify. They are like a crow (but bigger although that is hard to discern when you see them alone) and their call is really deep and throaty. Not like the "caaw" of a Crow at all

Out in Cheshire on NYE and stopped to eat a snack near Radbroke Hall, Knutsford

"kronk"......"kronk"......"kronk"

Unmistakeable call of a Raven. Then I saw it flying around the treetops. I don't think I've ever seen one in Cheshire before. A quick google tells me they are increasing and about 25 pairs nest in Cheshire so perhaps not that much of surprise to see one although most are in the W of Cheshire near Wales (which is where they have expanded from apparently)

Ravens are super easy to identify. They are like a crow (but bigger although that is hard to discern when you see them alone) and their call is really deep and throaty. Not like the "caaw" of a Crow at all

Wonderful! I like all of the corvid family; mischievous intelligent pesky things though they often are, the more the merrier I always think.
Along the canal today it was interesting to see the swans still with their fully-grown 'chicks' - three families in a stretch of about three miles - one with four youngsters, one with three youngsters and one which is now just a single parent and SIX youngsters. Although apparently a lone swan was seen walking quite determinedly to the lake in a local park near the canal, early this morning. Maybe s/he felt they needed a break from all those stroppy teenagers. The youngsters still aren't snowy-white, and lack the graceful curves of the adults, but they are every bit as alert, aggressive and protective of themselves and their family as their parents have taught them to be ... Fortunately no sign of them ailing, as we are in a high-incidence bird flu area.

Top Bottom