Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a cracking 'aninmal watch' at work this morning.

Just before arriving at work at 04.30, a young fox was playing by the side of the road until it scarpered as I approached (I was in my car). :headshake::thumbsdown:

Shortly after I'd started, I was 'aware' of being observed by something, and after a quick scan of the area I saw a large elk standing majestically about 100 yards from me at the edge of the wood. What beautiful creatures! :wub: but I was a bit concerned that it's curiosity would develop into fear and then attack me, as they have a tendency to do, but it soon disappeared into the 'small' wood we have around here

650px-%C3%98stmarka.jpg

Then I saw a shrew scurrying around. Whilst enjoying that, a hare darted just in front of me. Another fox made an appearance and finally two more hares frollicking around.

And all before 06.30.

What beautiful animals we have on this planet: if only we (man) could let them live peacefully with us.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Spotted these huge fungi growing on a tree whilst out this morning. They were a good foot in diameter

WP_20150704_001.jpg
WP_20150704_002.jpg

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Don't know what woke me at 3am but it sounded as though hell had broken loose. I thought foxes fighting or killing their dinner, my landlady thought cats fighting, and my landlord suggested a badger killing a hedgehog. Whatever it was, I hope it's not repeated tonight.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I know what woke me at 3, it was one of my children because there was a moth in their room, they weren't that impressed with my lack of sympathy and the suggestion they slept downstairs if they wanted to but stop shrieking and turning the light on and off...

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The weirdest thing tonight.....

Got home and it was pretty dark, walked past one of the hanging baskets near the front door. A couple of small birds flew out. I think they were blue tits but couldn't be sure. On closer inspection there is a blue tit-sized hole burrowed into the mossy side of the hanging basket.

Have they made a roost site there? Very odd

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Don't know what woke me at 3am but it sounded as though hell had broken loose. I thought foxes fighting or killing their dinner, my landlady thought cats fighting, and my landlord suggested a badger killing a hedgehog. Whatever it was, I hope it's not repeated tonight.
It was repeated.

I think my landlady's correct. Probably their cat versus the one from over the road. It doesn't have a tail and is oblivious to the fact that it's not polite to bully your owners' landlords' cat, especially when you've got acres and acres of farmland on your own side of the road.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The weirdest thing tonight.....

Got home and it was pretty dark, walked past one of the hanging baskets near the front door. A couple of small birds flew out. I think they were blue tits but couldn't be sure. On closer inspection there is a blue tit-sized hole burrowed into the mossy side of the hanging basket.

Have they made a roost site there? Very odd

Wrens? My mum had them nest in a hanging basket once....

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Wrens? My mum had them nest in a hanging basket once....

Thing is the hole wasn't there a week ago so I guess it's not a nest at this time of year....stake out will commence

Edit: so I went to take a look this morning. The hole is only about 5cm deep into the basket and there's nothing in it now. Presumably these birds found a nice secure roost site away from predators and decided to dig a bit of a hole in the side of the basket to have a sleep in. I'll leave them to it, maybe they'll come back tonight

Last edited:
Top Bottom