Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I don't know about anybody else but most of our birds appear to have gone on holiday at the moment. A few weeks ago I was topping the feeders up twice a day but now the grub's lasting ages. There's normally a lull in summer when there's loads of wild stuff to eat and when they're resting after rearing little 'uns, but I can't remember it ever being so quiet now. Saying that I saw a Long Tailed Tit and GSW on the peanuts just before I came to work this morning but the quantity just aren't there.

Similar here but I think they are finding there own natural stuff

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@Windle it was remarked on yesterday by my wife too. I assume that the level of natural food supply and nutrition has outweighed what we can offer them..

This may not be the case for the local starlings!🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷

Windle

Über Member
@Windle it was remarked on yesterday by my wife too. I assume that the level of natural food supply and nutrition has outweighed what we can offer them..

This may not be the case for the local starlings!🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷

Oddly, Starlings are something we rarely get visiting, although huge flocks of them can be seen swirling around Cockfield Fell in the evening.
House Sparrows too, never get very many of them either.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Oddly, Starlings are something we rarely get visiting, although huge flocks of them can be seen swirling around Cockfield Fell in the evening.
House Sparrows too, never get very many of them either.

We also have a nice troupe of HS. They were very reluctant to go on the feeders, a male did, and now the females are brave enough to come in. They’re regular visitors now.

roley poley

Veteran
we feed the goldfinches in the garden and this came to get the blackbirds chick that was feeding off the fallen crumbs .. managed to walk right up and catch his cheek

100E0213.JPG

potsy

Rambler
A little bird watching at work today :wub:

20240510104530_IMG_4861_edit_323632043987594.jpg

FrankCrank

Old layabout
Saw a gathering not Red Kites and Buzzards the other day whilst out on a ride. Counted 6 Red Kites and at least 4 Buzzards. I think the farmer mowing the field attracted the Red Kites. The Buzzards were too busy starting to soar.

Was gonna ask how to tell the difference - decided to look online. They are easy to mix up, but red kites have a forked tail, buzzards a fan tail.

Was gonna ask how to tell the difference - decided to look online. They are easy to mix up, but red kites have a forked tail, buzzards a fan tail.

The Red Kite is a bigger bird although they are very agile! They also seem to have a cranked wing. Buzzards often call out. I studied them for a while . They say they are sedentary birds, nailed to a perch more like! Ours seem to like sitting in oak trees for hours on end. Easy to spot when there are no leaves on the trees. Impossible when in leaf!

EckyH

On Tuesday morning at the Race to Work I saw seven (in numbers: 7) white storks at a field beside the cycle path. Unfortunately they were too far away to make a reasonable photo with the mobile phone.

E.

Top Bottom