Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex H

Legendary Member
Heron fishing on the Tweed this morning

DSCN1221.jpg

Gillstay

Über Member
Not something you expect to see in South London. No idea what it is

Somebody pet corn snake. That may well have been about £80 worth unless prices have gone the way of cycles.

Saw a gathering not Red Kites and Buzzards the other day whilst out on a ride. Counted 6 Red Kites and at least 4 Buzzards. I think the farmer mowing the field attracted the Red Kites. The Buzzards were too busy starting to soar.

That's interesting, as I never see the two species in the same area round here. Home is all Red Kites - about 15 miles away it's all Buzzards.

The exception is over a nearby landfill - I noticed during a harsh frost there were loads of both overhead, and barely any in their normal hangouts; presumably as they were desperate for food and that was the only local source? (Perhaps your farmed mowing had a similar effect?)

I've never studied the area between these 2 territories - just don't have the patience! - so i was hoping to meet an expert one day :-)

The Red Kite is a bigger bird although they are very agile! They also seem to have a cranked wing. Buzzards often call out. I studied them for a while . They say they are sedentary birds, nailed to a perch more like! Ours seem to like sitting in oak trees for hours on end. Easy to spot when there are no leaves on the trees. Impossible when in leaf!

Pretty sure it's all Red Kites over this way. Can often see a dozen more circling about, very common now. We used to leave a chicken carcass out on the bird table, and watch them swoop in for quick grab, great spectacle to watch. Trouble is, rats also came along for a few scrag ends, so we've had to stop now, shame.

Over the years I have watched the Buzzards gradually moving north from the edge of Salisbury Plain up past where I live from the mid 80's. I like them and like watching them soaring way up in the sky. The often gather in groups and then fly off in different directions. We hardly see Kestrels now around here.

That's interesting, as I never see the two species in the same area round here. Home is all Red Kites - about 15 miles away it's all Buzzards.

The exception is over a nearby landfill - I noticed during a harsh frost there were loads of both overhead, and barely any in their normal hangouts; presumably as they were desperate for food and that was the only local source? (Perhaps your farmed mowing had a similar effect?)

I've never studied the area between these 2 territories - just don't have the patience! - so i was hoping to meet an expert one day :-)

We get both in the village near Stuttgart. As we're in an attic apartment we often get them quite close too.

Gillstay

Über Member

Often its when the farmers are ploughing that brings them in and by cycling slowly past i managed to count about 16 one day.

How they know is beyond me as some must be coming large distances to get numbers like that.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Spotted this bee having a rest

IMG_20240512_191909.jpg

Top Bottom