Your dream car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Probably the closest you can get to a single-seater racing car (e.g. FF1600) for the road without it actually being a racing car. OK, yes, I know it's got two seats, but you know what I mean...
How about a road legal (German) Formula Ford - apparently it's a Reynard!
2009-161707-street-legal-reynard-91f1.jpg

https://www.motor1.com/news/13340/street-legal-formula-ford-car-in-germany/

And you BMW types are all wrong - there's only one worth having - the 635CSi in red or black
1986-E24-1.jpg

Hmmmm... :scratch:

That's something from after '96 due to the high cockpit sides. By then, Reynard were pretty well much only involved in ChampCar, so it's definitely summat else.

I should know, my '97 / '98 MEng year was sponsored by Reynard.

Much more likely to be a Dallara of some sort. I think it's a FRenault because FF was not wings & slicks. (FF2000 which *was* wings & slicks faded away in the late 80s)

Now I love my old Skoda’s and always will but my dream car has always been the original Audi Sport quattro ever since I set eyes on one back in 1984.I was lucky enough to know the owner of these two and did get a chance to drive one when they only cost £55k new but sadly they are commanding £4-500k now :ohmy:
At least I have the memories View attachment 493419

Its 'daddy'

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208626855381102&set=a.10205766371550794&type=3&theater

mustang1

Guru
Nice choice and special too. I had a GTi Mk2 8v which I loved again for similar reasons to the BMW above. A friend of mine had his Oak green Mk2 16v rebuilt to either 1900 or 2100 by one of the big VW tuning houses. Cant remember who. I want to say BRM. Anyway it was plenty quick after and they were a pretty quick car in standard form. As you will know.

Sorry this is getting a wee bit off track but Im just remembering a special Golf I once owned. A supercharged G60 Golf identical to this one below. I wanted something rarer than the Rallye which actually was also pretty rare.

View attachment 523932

Maybe the tuning house was Oettenger? I think I recall them making a 2.1 engine.

macp

Guru
Now I think of it im almost certain it was GTI Engineering. Considering it was the wildest conversion they did I dont remember the car being lumpy or difficult to drive. Ah the 80`s & 90`s were amazing for the VW scene. In total I spent about 10k on my Mk2 getting it to almost a show standard :eek:

Gunk

Guru
The GTi Engineering conversions were very well executed, I did 120,000 miles in my Mk2 16V and it was virtually faultless. I changed it for a Mk3 VR6 which was a fantastic car, in fact I ended up buying it off the company and my wife kept it until we sold it with 190,000 miles on the clock! I still own a Golf now, a 2015 GTD which I’ve had since new, my 16th Golf!

299E14AE-74F9-481D-BF09-858D447E2384.jpeg

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I used to like these when I was a youngster, although I believe the engines were a bit naff and were nearly always replaced by the Rover V8 or something similar if anyone wanted to keep them.

Salar

A fish out of water
A friend of mine many years ago had a Stag.

The aftermarket overdrive switch was not on the dash or gear stick but fitted high up next to the rear view mirror, which I thought was very odd??

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The engines were lovely and smooth but let down with cooling issues, easily solved now with electric fans and a better quality radiator.
The main issue was when they did overheat people filled them up with water instead of an antifreeze mixture, this caused corrosion to form in the Aluminium cylinder heads and flakes of it would break off and end up blocking the radiator core making the overheating problem worse.

Then there were the cylinder head studs/bolts which were set at an angle to each other with one set being bolts inside the rocker box and the other being studs and nuts outside of it. I worked on SAABs in the late 70s which had the Dolomite engine with the same basic cylinder head casting, in order to get the head off you needed a big 'puller kit' which bolted on to the manifold mounting holes with a big bolt over each stud.

Then there was the waterpump mounted on top of the cylinder block. :wacko:

Drago

Legendary Member

My Grandad was the works manager for the Lancia team in the seventies. One of my earliest motoring memories is being driven into the Blackwall tunnel in a competition spec Fulvia and the sound of the exhaust echoing back BBWWWWWAAAAAAAAA!

Top Bottom