1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your drink - fairtrade or not..?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by andyoxon, 15 Jul 2007.

?
  1. Only the coffee I drink is fairtrade...

100.0%
  2. Only the tea I drink is fairtrade...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both are fairtrade...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Fairtrade? What's that all about...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't drink tea or coffee...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. andyoxon

andyoxon Veteran

Since this is the cycle caff...and building on the other thread about what we drink...

2. longers

longers Veteran

Both the tea and coffee I buy are fairtrade. I don't know how much extra the producers receive from the sale but I hope it's worth it.

Co-op do Fairtrade wine too.

3. only drink coffee - always get fairtrade at home

4. Brock

Brock Senior Member

I like the idea of fairtrade, although am slightly cynical about whether the word on a packet actually means what I would want it to. I have to admit though that I usually just grab what looks good for the price.

5. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Must admit that I don't know much about this fair trade thing; I buy my coffee via the Internet from Vietnam.
    Sounds fair enough to me; cuts out a lot of middle men.

6. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Interesting.. Got a link?

7. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Never heard of fairtrade, what's it all about!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Brock! Here it is:

http://www.trung-nguyen-online.co.uk/order2.php

It is the BEST coffee I have ever had. The Robusta/Arabica one is my favourite to date (I've only tried two types, though).
    I would recommend that you tried the sampler pack for a tenner then you can decide which you like.
    It comes via Cardiff (almost cutting out all the middle men). :eek:
    If you need any tips, just ask.

9. SamNichols

SamNichols New Member

Keith, Fair Trade is the mark of certification by an independent charity, the Fair Trade foundation. Holders of the mark must pass a test that ensures that the farmer is being paid a fair wage for what he is selling. In the case of coffee, last time I checked, the big names (Kenco, Nestle) were paying around £22 for a standard sack of coffee beans; those dealing with the fair trade distributors were being paid around £36 for a comparable size; obviously a fairly large difference. In the beginning, the mark was applied to coffee, tea and cocoa (these are the products that most think about when they use fair trade), but it now also applies to all manner of things, including fruit, flour and stacks of other stuff. Basically, it means that the consumer knows that the product is ethically produced. It's a solid idea, and one that is growing in popularity in the UK. I use Tea Direct tea, and Cafe Direct coffee for the most part, although I also like the blend 'Lazy Sunday' by Taylors of Harrogate, which has an ethical reputation (but isn't fair trade marked).

10. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Thanks SamNichols, never had it when I was last in the UK as far as I know. Seems a good idea though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Davyo, I'm sitting here holding a brand new box Trung Nguyen coffe that I got a couple of days ago. As you say it's very nice!!!!!

12. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Looks good, I'll try it. Thanks Dayvo!

13. Sometimes Fairtrade, sometimes not.

14. Things must be really tough Up-North the works restaurant sells Fair Trade Eccles Cakes! :eek:

15. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Fair trade tea at home and at work, and rarely drink coffee, so I guess it depends on whether I'm at Nero or Starbucks, and what their policy is...