Your favourite bassist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I was torn between Lemmy and Phil Lynott, but Phil just pips it. Good songwriter, cool as foxtrot frontman, with an appetite for drugs that made Lemmy look like a choirboy. And he invented the mirror scratchplate. Rock and Roll, baby.

An honourable mention must go to Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond of Jethro Tull. Not even a musician at all, but a close friend of Ian Anderson's. When Glenn Cornick left the band Anderson turned up at Hammond-Hammond's flat and told him he was their new bassist, despite the slight handicap of not even being a musician. He never really learned to play properly and learned all the bands back catalogue by rote, and required a lot of practice to memorise new material, which cause friction with guitarist Martin Barre who was a trained musician and multi instrumentalist. So he gets the honourable mention for basically bluffing his way through 5 albums, before quitting the band and never playing bass again. In fact, when he left the band he left all his quipment behind, and was surprised to see someone else playing his distinctive striped bass on ToTP some years later.

So who is your favourite bassist, and why?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Norman Watt-Roy

View: https://youtu.be/b_5J8PaaBzg

As for why just listen. :becool:

Brains

Legendary Member
I worked with both Lemmy and Norman, and saw Phil live enough times to know that it was Norman by a country mile. However there was a certain Mr Nick Beggs that I also worked with, who probably pipped Norman at the post, but I'm too embaressed to admit the name of the band.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
.... and I toured with Alice Cooper ! (really)
You are Saxondale AICMFP!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I worked with both Lemmy and Norman, and saw Phil live enough times to know that it was Norman by a country mile. However there was a certain Mr Nick Beggs that I also worked with, who probably pipped Norman at the post, but I'm too embaressed to admit the name of the band.
Does it begin with a K?

Top Bottom