Your favourite ever film?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I have too many favourites, but I'd rate:

Amelie
Blue Velvet
Cinema Paradiso
Nikita (not original - not the crappy Hollywood remake)
Napoleon Dynamite
Best In Show
Leningrad Cowboys Go America
The Royal Tenenbaums, and
Mars (a Russian film I saw at the EIFF a few years ago, after which the production company couriered me a copy when I found it had no UK distributor so I'd never see it again !)

amongst my top films.

stevenb

zimzum42 said:
Difficult choice between Dark Star and Silent Running

My dad loves Dark Star:biggrin:...IIRC wasn't it originally made as a B movies with a real cheap budget...but turned into a very successful film?

Real tough call this....there are so many.
I think it just has to be Aliens....possibly the best sequel of any film ever IMO.....great atmos, excellent acting and with a big TV, surround sound etc thoroughly enjoyable.:tongue:

simonali

Guru
Abitrary said:
The Distance of Cloud - a czech arthouse movie. Don't bother googling it because it's pretty underground stuff.

I did google this and it doesn't appear to exist. Why the need to make something up to make yourself look highbrow? :tongue:

mondobongo

Über Member
Highlander lost count how many times I have watched it, probably not the best shot or acted but my favourite of all time. Closely followed by The Great Escape and another vote for Point Break.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
On any particular day, it could be one of a hundred, none of which I am afraid have been mentioned here (possible exceptions for Dark Star, Citizen Kane and Blade Runner). In fact, some of the ones that have been mentioned here are films you couldn't force me to watch again with a sharp stick! Just shows how personal these things are...

Anyway, this week my favourite films are:

The Cabinet of Dr Caligari - a really early German expressionist film complete with wierd creepy characters and paper sets
Singing in the Rain - just sheer unbounded joy
The Conversation - the epitome of 60s paranoia
Ghost Dog - Jim Jarmusch and Forrest Whittaker both on top quirky form
Nobody Knows - harrowing and beautiful film from Hirokazu Kore-Eda, one of Japan's most interesting film-makers

Danny

Legendary Member
Too many good films out there, but some I would see again are:

Apocalypse Now
Any of the "Three Colours" trilogy
Bladerunner
Jonah will be 25 in the year 2000 - by Jean Luc Bidot
1900 - by Bernando Bertolucci
Wizard of Oz

and of course Duck Soup by the Marx Brothers

Danny

Legendary Member
Wasn't that knocked out the first time I saw 'Once Upon a Time in America'.

So I decided to watch it again as people keep hailing it as one of the great films of all time, but still didn't think it was that great.

Am I missing something?

domtyler

Über Member
Watched OldBoy, a Korean film about a guy who is kidnapped and locked up for fifteen years on Friday, and Blood Diamond last night, a fantastic film (dodgy 'Rhodesian' accents apart, huh?). A really great story and nice mix of action scenes, story telling and even a bit of lovey dovey stuff! :blush: Best film I've seen for ages.

Top Bottom