Your favourite/recomended spoons?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I get around the country a fair bit, very often by bike.

And pop in a few.

So am interested in recommendations.

Pics permitted/welcomed.

May be anything - the building, the inside/outside space, the staff, the folk you tend to get in there, their attitude to folks on bikes of whatever sort, hell the beer selection.

Am prepared of course for the odd interjection from the haters - though they may get the odd question fired back - which they may or may not choose to answer.

I'm no great fan of the guy wot runs it, but have enjoyed good visits to quite a few Spoons. Big one in Taunton was BIG, but my local is probably my favourite, Queen's Head Hotel in Tavistock. And it IS a hotel, too. My son visited just before Christmas and said it was really rather a nice place to stay.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I'm no great fan of the guy wot runs it, but have enjoyed good visits to quite a few Spoons. Big one in Taunton was BIG, but my local is probably my favourite, Queen's Head Hotel in Tavistock. And it IS a hotel, too. My son visited just before Christmas and said it was really rather a nice place to stay.
will check out on my travels, usually bike powered - thanks.
I stress that my opinions on brexit aren't entirely in line with the guy, but then my opinions;/stance aren't in line with many folk, particularly in the OLD nacas place, either.
Thanks for your post/reply.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Since Mr (I think) bassman has been brave enough, two,far flung, of my own.

Colne - Wallace Hartley - nice exterior (actually an old pub I think) - maybe a tad bland inside and not much cop with a bike but nice comfy sofas inside near a fire, truly consistently excellent range of beers, favours strong stuff and helps the vision/alcohol impaired by putting all the strong stuff on one side of the bar, often lists what is coming up, town centre location, has the air of a local for folk of all ages.

Surbiton - very often serves Oakham Attilla, all 7.5 percent of it, very good in general for beer, has very nice peaceful upstairs area where you can contemplate the moon and various planets. Very handy for great 1930s station.

Last edited:

markemark

Über Member
Used to go on occasion but the owner's views on Brexit were unpleasant and on furloughed staff was utterly disgraceful so he'll not see a penny more of my money.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Used to go on occasion but the owner's views on Brexit were unpleasant and on furloughed staff was utterly disgraceful so he'll not see a penny more of my money.
the furloughed thing may merit further investigation.
particularly with regard to the actions of some other outfits.
I voted remain - though with some important reservations.
have had natters on all sides of that issue with folks in spoons.
do/did you have any favoured ones?

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Fav Spoon.jpg

Best stirrer I've got. Thought I'd be first. I'll get me coat.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
View attachment 626415
Best stirrer I've got. Thought I'd be first. I'll get me coat.
Correct punctuation is a dying art ...

Landsurfer

Veteran
The Queens Hotel in Maltby...
Excellent Weatherspoon's ... From the young mums swilling down goldfish bowls of gin and tonic before picking the kids up from school to the coal mining themed carpets and fine English Ale .... foods good ... faultless entertainment .....
Love it .....

OP
OP
Blue Hills
The Queens Hotel in Maltby...
Excellent Weatherspoon's ... From the young mums swilling down goldfish bowls of gin and tonic before picking the kids up from school to the coal mining themed carpets and fine English Ale .... foods good ... faultless entertainment .....
Love it .....
liked despite your dodgy spelling/punctuation - will check out.
My local did once have a crowd of mums glorying in the broadcast self glorying/imagined fact that they would be thought outrageous for being in there with the odd bit of breastfeeding. But no-one paid them the blind bit of notice. So I think they must have decamped elsewhere for their outrage fix.

Landsurfer

Veteran
liked despite your dodgy spelling/punctuation - will check out.
My local did once have a crowd of mums glorying in the broadcast self glorying/imagined fact that they would be thought outrageous for being in there with the odd bit of breastfeeding. But no-one paid them the blind bit of notice. So I think they must have decamped elsewhere for their outrage fix.
dodgy spelling/punctuation ...boring .... oops, oop’s ....what ever, whatever! ....

Top Bottom