Your first real / treasured / remembered Bicycle.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Come on then; crud outside here - so lets all reminisce a little (WITH PICS ! - even if that's of a likeness as mine is.) about our first true-loves.

Circa 1984. I was a mere 12 years old. I had a bike i'd been handed-down by my Cousin. It did everything a bike should - and most certainly gave me the gift of freedom. But the freedom was the excitement - there was no passion over the bike itself. I'd already crazed my parents for a BMX over at least one previous Birthday and Christmas to no avail. Eventually my prolonged tantrums sunk in. And a Kalkoff Spitfire BMX:; fresh out of the front window display of the local LBS (And that i'd drooled over many a trip home from school) arrived :wub: Man i loved that thing. And it started a 'BMX lifestyle' for quite a number of years thereafter. Good times....

Attachments

• SAM_0244.jpg
    SAM_0244.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I remember the excitement of a birthday when in the weeks leading up to it my Dad and I went to Halfords and I looked over a Raleigh Bomber and a silver Raleigh Chopper. As I was going to bed that night my Dad asked me if I had a preference and I went for the Chopper. This was probably around 1982. Many great memories riding that bike over to my friends' houses and to school. It was passed on to a friend of the family after I outgrew it, and I don't know where it ended up.

My next bike was bought at a police auction, had Weinmann centre pull brakes, suicide levers and drop bars. My Dad and I spent a good few hours stripping it down and rebuilding it with some sort of hard rubber sleeve instead of grip tape, and the frame (which was chipped & rusty) was attacked with rust-eater then painted by hand with blue hammerite.

SuffolkBlue

Probably 1978 (I was 13 ish) - I'm fairly sure it was a Dawes Velo Sprint but would have been the Junior Size and even then it was probably too big for me :laugh:. The image is the best I can find although I do remember it was "flamboyant Red" as per the description.

Velo Sprint.jpg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
No Pics but I’d love it if someone could find one or knows anything about the brand.
My first drop bar road bike was a Wearwell Martino in lime green, 5 speed Shimano gears and 24” wheels, I was probably around 10 or 11 years old when I had this, I can’t remember if it was a birthday or Christmas present. I loved that bike❤️

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
This rubbish Tensor five speed. I loved it. I thought it was a great bike.

The blue bike in the foreground was my friends. Put a kink in the rim on the way there- hit a big flint, punctured. Hammered the kink out with a rock so it wouldn't rub on the brakes.

Never was much of a Hi-Viz advocate.
?hash=f2e4199f26066c2e8ed3754bd27703e0.jpg

Third bike. My first was a rusty single speed with solid ballon tyres, the second was a Raleigh Roller- cantilever frame with front and rear racks. It was whack, I got around though.

Attachments

• Dunstable Downs.jpg
    Dunstable Downs.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 4

All uphill

Still rolling along
My first proper bike was hand painted black and singlespeed (although back then in 1963ish that wasn't a term we used). It had no headbadge.

I was nine and went everywhere on that bike. I picked up surprisingly few scrapes and grazes.

When I got a new Royal Enfield in 1966 with SA3 speed it seemed very slow and heavy in comparison.

Top Bottom