Your first real / treasured / remembered Bicycle.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My first proper bike was a Triumph Rodeo. 3 speed SA gears. It was blue and gold. With 26 inch wheels. I got it for my 11th birthday in 1968. I kept it until 1976, when it really was a bit small for me then.
I sold it to a chap at work for his son.
I bought a Dawes Galaxy then, which I still have

I can remember the Triumph Rodeo from about 1964. They were a lovely turquoise metallic with twist grip gear change. I thought they were the must have bike! Didn't get one !

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have a potted and thinking about it, not particularly successful history with bikes.. probably the most genuinely valued (at the time) was the Giant OCR I bought at Uni. An upgrade for the tatty 5-speed 501 racer I'd bought off a fellow student that had piqued my interest in road bikes, the new, ally OCR with its 3x8 gearing and budget STI shifters felt - if bottom-of-the-range - like pretty cutting edge tech.

The bike was really the first to indulge my love of cycling reasonable distances for the sake of it. I probably covered about 4-6k miles on it during my time at uni and then in latter years when I dipped back into the riding that I'd largely forsaken due to lack of geographical opportunity.

Retrospectively I can see it wasn't all a bed of roses - with very aggressive geometry that gave increasing amounts of head / neck pain until I finally twigged and swapped the bars and stem to reduce reach and increase stack. It also had a small, stiff, harsh frame that eventually succumbed to cracking at the seat tube / top tube junction thanks to Giant's cack idea to use a short plastic shim at the seatpost..

It served me pretty well but it's the last ally or Giant bike I'll ever buy; my advancing years and more descerning tastes now dictating more relaxed steel as the order of the day :smile:

EDIT: Dug out a photo from back in the day; from probably my first year or so of ownership outside the shed at the student hovel:

DSC01915a.jpg

Below in its middling guise - many years after purchase; still sporting the silly-long stem and long-drop bars but also the replacement rims and (much nicer, Ultegra-level-that-I-wish-I'd-kept) shifters I got in replacement for those damaged after some stupid woman ran into me in her car..

IMG_8023a.jpg

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
The first bike that I had, and just adored (apart from my red trike with the big boot thing at the back for all the things a 4 year old needs to take around with them) was a Puch Pacemaker in a bronze-green sort of hue. I got it in 1978, after I had saved like anything for it. It had 6 gears I think, suicide brakes and I loved it to bits. I went everywhere on that thing. It had a plastic saddle, which I just got used to as there was no give in the thing. My dad put a saddlebag on there with a repair kit, spare tubes and there was enough room for a mars bar and one or two other bits and bobs.
Dad also put one of those water bottle holders on the bars, meaning that the suicide levers were tricky to use, no bad thing really.
The bike went a bit ‘triggers broom’ before it was nicked sometime around 1991 or so. I did love it and had looked after it very well so I guess someone got a good bike. It was red by that time as an accident had crumped the Puch frame and a new frame had been sourced for all the other bits - also mostly change.

My first proper bike was a Triumph Rodeo. 3 speed SA gears. It was blue and gold. With 26 inch wheels. I got it for my 11th birthday in 1968. I kept it until 1976, when it really was a bit small for me then.
I sold it to a chap at work for his son.
I bought a Dawes Galaxy then, which I still have
I didn't know you were allowed to sell a son!!

(sorry - someone had to say it!)

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
This is me on the first bike I bought for myself back in 1971. I still have my bike. It is a Holdsworth Record.

View attachment 689295

Brilliant…and another fabulous pic ! 💪

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'm not sure what a 'proper' bike is, but my first air filled tyres bike was a Raleigh Budgie in baby blue.
My first adult bike was a Raleigh Mustang mountain bike in black and white.
First bike I bought myself was a Raleigh M-Trax Ti-1000.
Sadly no pics of any of these bikes but the budgie will always be my first love :smile:

Last edited:
AFter my Peugeot got knicked I went to the LBS and they had just got in a weird folding mountain bike

They had never seen one before - this was the late 1980s probably - called a Rudge Bi-Frame

like this
rudge biframe.JPG

But those mudguards are no original and nor is the saddle
Basicall it has 5 quick releases
One for the front wheel
One to make the front brake blocks spring wider apart so you can then whip the wheel off easily
The 2 on the seat post which are just friction based
and one under the saddel that locks the frame open
after all that the whole frame folds around the seat post and can be locked in place with the seat post quick releases

Great for putting in a car

It was a nice bike - not really a mountain bike but it would cope with any track I tried it on

got left behind when I split with my ex - probably quietly rusting away in her garage along with her really nice road bike that was also a nice bike

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
@wafter The last road bike I had before that was a 531 framed Peugeot Optima that my dad passed onto me. That thing was a rocket. The OCR to me was a bit of a slug compared to it. I blame the curved seatstays.
It served me well for no idea how long but was eventually part ex'd back to the lbs I bought it from in favour of a mountain bike which later got nicked.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
@wafter The last road bike I had before that was a 531 framed Peugeot Optima that my dad passed onto me. That thing was a rocket. The OCR to me was a bit of a slug compared to it. I blame the curved seatstays.
It served me well for no idea how long but was eventually part ex'd back to the lbs I bought it from in favour of a mountain bike which later got nicked.

Thanks - how come you binned off the Pug? Seems like a better bike than the OCR; although I appreciate that might not have seemed the case at the time given the push for aluminium and allure of STIs... tbh I loved mine when I didn't know any better.. seemed like an unforgiving little bone-shaker compared to the Team Carbon that replaced it however.

Top Bottom