Your first real / treasured / remembered Bicycle.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
This was my first proper bike but in brown / yellow!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22416248...tixoXeJTeO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I'd buy it but at £500 I think it's overpriced???

Gunk

Guru
My first proper bike was a secondhand Raleigh Hustler back in 1977 when I was 12. I honestly thought I could win the Tour de France on it.

IMG_0811.jpeg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
This rubbish Tensor five speed. I loved it. I thought it was a great bike.

The blue bike in the foreground was my friends. Put a kink in the rim on the way there- hit a big flint, punctured. Hammered the kink out with a rock so it wouldn't rub on the brakes.

Never was much of a Hi-Viz advocate.

View attachment 689238

Third bike. My first was a rusty single speed with solid ballon tyres, the second was a Raleigh Roller- cantilever frame with front and rear racks. It was whack, I got around though.

Dunstable Downs?

ExBrit

Über Member
Come on then; crud outside here - so lets all reminisce a little (WITH PICS ! - even if that's of a likeness as mine is.) about our first true-loves.

Circa 1984. I was a mere 12 years old. I had a bike i'd been handed-down by my Cousin. It did everything a bike should - and most certainly gave me the gift of freedom. But the freedom was the excitement - there was no passion over the bike itself. I'd already crazed my parents for a BMX over at least one previous Birthday and Christmas to no avail. Eventually my prolonged tantrums sunk in. And a Kalkoff Spitfire BMX:; fresh out of the front window display of the local LBS (And that i'd drooled over many a trip home from school) arrived :wub: Man i loved that thing. And it started a 'BMX lifestyle' for quite a number of years thereafter. Good times....

Gateway bike. Shouldn't be legal to sell bikes to kids - look we all turned out :laugh:

Jameshow

Veteran
Grifter , blue , bomb proof , weighed a ton !

Snap!! Rubbed my thumbs raw on those tough rubber grips!!

Played with the SA 3spd gears and couldn't get it running right!!

My first proper bike was a Raleigh Elite

I was probably about 12 - first bike that I was allowed to ride on the road
Once I was trusted I could ride it the 4 miles to my friends houses

well - when I say ride - I had to push it up the 3 hilly bits - standard 3 speed Sturmy Archer gears - granny handlebars
and a frame that weighed about the same as a main battle tank

After a while my Dad realised that I got little enjoyment out of riding it and offered to buy me a better bike a few years later

Now THAT was a bike!!!
or it was to me

The shop had just got some Peugeot bikes in with dropped handlebars and - an unheard of miracle - 10 speeds
no-one else I knew had 10 gears!!!

and it was cheap - one of the cheapest bikes that was in the shop except real clunky things
this was about 1974 - can;t find a picture of it now but I did a few years ago
it had aluminium mudguards front and back and a rer rack witha bungy cord on it

OK frame was still steel

First time I tried riding to my friends houses I was amazed by just whizzing up the hills with only one gear change and no need to push!!!

$deity knows how many miles I did on it over the years at school, university and after

then some toe-rag knicked it off the wall of my garage one night!!!

I just hope someone else got some enjoyment out of it - it was a great bike

Oh - and it was purple - the picture I found was blue - but whatever!

Jameshow

Veteran
My first proper bike was a Raleigh Elite

I was probably about 12 - first bike that I was allowed to ride on the road
Once I was trusted I could ride it the 4 miles to my friends houses

well - when I say ride - I had to push it up the 3 hilly bits - standard 3 speed Sturmy Archer gears - granny handlebars
and a frame that weighed about the same as a main battle tank

After a while my Dad realised that I got little enjoyment out of riding it and offered to buy me a better bike a few years later

Now THAT was a bike!!!
or it was to me

The shop had just got some Peugeot bikes in with dropped handlebars and - an unheard of miracle - 10 speeds
no-one else I knew had 10 gears!!!

and it was cheap - one of the cheapest bikes that was in the shop except real clunky things
this was about 1974 - can;t find a picture of it now but I did a few years ago
it had aluminium mudguards front and back and a rer rack witha bungy cord on it

OK frame was still steel

First time I tried riding to my friends houses I was amazed by just whizzing up the hills with only one gear change and no need to push!!!

$deity knows how many miles I did on it over the years at school, university and after

then some toe-rag knicked it off the wall of my garage one night!!!

I just hope someone else got some enjoyment out of it - it was a great bike

Oh - and it was purple - the picture I found was blue - but whatever!

My second bike was a purple emmile mountain bike awful thing 100gs gears and a plain steel frame!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My first proper bike was a Triumph Rodeo. 3 speed SA gears. It was blue and gold. With 26 inch wheels. I got it for my 11th birthday in 1968. I kept it until 1976, when it really was a bit small for me then.
I sold it to a chap at work for his son.
I bought a Dawes Galaxy then, which I still have

Top Bottom