Your first ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doobiesis

Über Member
I tried to cycle to a near by town 15 miles away (Blandford) managed 8 miles on a main road with my chain keep coming off as I wasn't changing gear correctly. I was on a hybrid and couldn't walk for a week. Good times :smile:

NorvernRob

57 miles, including probably the slowest ever ascent of Holme Moss (34 minutes, I've since done it in 11). I got the bike a month beforehand though and did a few hours on the turbo before venturing out.

It's a good job the last 20 miles home are pretty much flat and downhill, as it was probably the most tired I've ever been.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Can't remember, probably about 10 flat miles to the opposite side of town.
I am blessed in never having had a sore bottom, but had the jelly legs for sure!

Globalti

Legendary Member
At the age of 31 I was wandering though Harrogate and I spotted a white and yellow Raleigh Maverick in a LBS window and knew that was what I wanted so I bought it there and then for £199 on my credit card and rode it the 7 miles home, setup all wrong and tyres under-inflated. After four hilly miles I was shattered, a neighbour passed me and later told me she'd thought about offering me a lift. I didn't touch the bike again for 6 months but then I moved to Lancashire and started thinking: "People cycle hundreds of miles! I should be capable of more than seven!" So I kept trying, got ftter then bought a better bike, a Specialized Rockhopper. Soon I was the world's most fanatical mountain biker, to the annoyance of my family.

22 years later aged 53, I was bored with the mud and the wear and tear and having to drive everywhere to ride and one day I found a stolen and abandoned Roubaix in a stream. Took it to the Police, who gave it back to me a month later. That was when I started getting really fit. I haven't ridden the poor old mountain bike off road since.

rallyruss84

Hi all, I am new to road bikes never been out before hoping to get out Thursday morning before work. Lots of hills here on the edge of exmoor so guess I should get used to riding a road bike before going to crazy!!?!? Would love to ride to work some day 10 miles each way but think I will need to work up to this as my fitness is not awesome! Any tips tricks much appriciated

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Hiya, best advice I can give is wear decent padded shorts / tights to protect your nether regions, use your gears to make ascents as easy as possible for yourself, keep those pedals spinning. Take it easy don't push yourself too hard, get used to your bike, distance and speed will come naturally, most of all enjoy!!

rallyruss84

Hiya, best advice I can give is wear decent padded shorts / tights to protect your nether regions, use your gears to make ascents as easy as possible for yourself, keep those pedals spinning. Take it easy don't push yourself too hard, get used to your bike, distance and speed will come naturally, most of all enjoy!!
Thanks steve50 all dully noted. Hope the weather is nice in the morning

Saluki

World class procrastinator
First ride on a roadbike was from Strathpeffer to Struy in the Highlands. I stopped in Beauly for coffee and a bun.
I had been riding around on my tatty old BSO Apollo MTB thing for 6 months or so though. Awesome ride.

Here you go.
1st%20Giant%20Ride.jpg

Took me a couple of hours but I was a good 2 stone heavier back in those days.

Hip Priest

Veteran
We've all got to start somewhere. Four years ago I bought a hybrid from Halford's and set off on the 4.5 mile ride to work. It took me forever, I struggled on any non-negative gradient, and on the way home I almost burst into tears because I didn't know if I could make it.

Now, to blow my own trumpet a bit, I can average 24-25mph on a 10 mile TT.

Top Bottom