Your greatest cycling achievement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
There's one stand-out really: a solo ride from Bristol to Geneva, or more precisely Mont Salève, and back in May 1985. It arose from a chance conversation a couple of month earlier; I'd been learning about cycle touring over the previous couple of years and felt ready for a major challenge.

Much as I enjoyed all the trips that came later, I could never recreate the glorious naivety of those wonderful days. It was my one and only great adventure.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Going for a two week bike camping tour on the West Coast and islands of Scotland, in October, and it not raining once.

I almost started to believe I had magical powers.:bicycle:

Especially as on the train on the way up and back home, it was pishing It down :rolleyes:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Buying a Specialized Levo comp carbon.. I'd never pay that for a normally aspirated bike :laugh:.

Tho it was being on my road bike 20 odd miles from home and thinking wow, i really cant believe I've done this..

I used to think i just couldn't

johnblack

Über Member
Northampton to Exeter earlier this year was pretty tough. 187miles in 10 hours after breaking my knee 4 weeks prior.
Alpe D'Huez last year in 35 degree heat was brutal.
Getting down to 12 st 6 from 15 st 6 for the London Surrey hundred in 2016 as my mate said there was no way I'd do it in under 5 hours, nothing more motivating than someone telling you no chance.
Beating all my mates up the Koppenberg after the Ronde, after far too many Baviks.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Getting down to 12 st 6 from 15 st 6 for the London Surrey hundred in 2016 as my mate said there was no way I'd do it in under 5 hours, nothing more motivating than someone telling you no chance.
I know that feeling, @johnblack . Every time we have holidayed in the Alps I have done a little reccy drive with my wife (who is not a cyclist) on our day of arrival. We set off up the biggest climb I'm hoping to do that week just to get a feel for it. Without fail, when we are only about a third or a half the way up a big climb in the car, my missus always announces something like "You're NEVER going to be able to cycle all the way up here!". Always does the trick. I get up at stupid o'clock the next day and put in a monumental shift while she's still in bed, arriving back with photos of the col to show her while we are having breakfast.

johnblack

Über Member
I know that feeling, @johnblack . Every time we have holidayed in the Alps I have done a little reccy drive with my wife (who is not a cyclist) on our day of arrival. We set off up the biggest climb I'm hoping to do that week just to get a feel for it. Without fail, when we are only about a third or a half the way up a big climb in the car, my missus always announces something like "You're NEVER going to be able to cycle all the way up here!". Always does the trick. I get up at stupid o'clock the next day and put in a monumental shift while she's still in bed, arriving back with photos of the col to show her while we are having breakfast.
They just don't learn! or maybe she's just far smarter and knows how to get you moving. Has she tried it with the ironing? "There is absolutely no way you can do that lot before I get back from the hairdressers."

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
... my mate said there was no way I'd do it in under 5 hours, nothing more motivating than someone telling you no chance.
Ha ha - that is very true!

A colleague who used to give me a lift to work lived on a road up one of the steep hills near Hebden Bridge. He told me that he had never seen a cyclist ride past his house because the road was "too steep". I cycled up there that evening. He was pottering about in his garden as I passed so I gave him a friendly wave... :okay:

Top Bottom