Your inspiration to get on a bike? And why do you keep doing it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My 2nd posting...... I went out for 35 miles in the chilly Cambridgeshire countryside this afternoon, and I can't say I thought of much. It was a proper "switch off", not to the traffic and the stuff going on around me, but all the other gubbins that goes on in ones life.
I think that might just qualify as a big plus.

Kies

Freedom from lifes worries
Think only about the ride
The satisfaction of getting somewhere under my own steam
Fitness
Lose weight
Feel good endorphins
Something pure about riding alone
Something magical about riding with like minded folks
The lady cyclist have great asses :blush

OP
OP
Si_

Si_

Regular
theres a few posts mentioning switch off time. its fair point. if i run/bike to and from work my mind is focused purely on here and now so the result is i end up at work with a clear head.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Because I've always enjoyed it (I know, that's a circular reason, but the best I've got). There are many other reasons, but I won't bore you with the long list.

Lance Jack

Über Member
The only reason I started cycling was the Cycle 2 Work scheme. It was hard to park at work so I was getting up early just to get a parking space. So I have had enough, I decide that I am going to cycle to work and get a bike through the scheme, I know I am not going to like cycling but it's almost three miles to work and I can put up with it. Get my bike and cycle to work on day one, I loved it! Got up later because I don't have to worry about parking, but I got to work feeling better, more awake and switched on and wondering why I didn't do this years ago. A few months later I feel a bit fitter and richer as I am not putting the same amount of petrol in the car. But from that I find this forum and start learning more, there are some really good points on here that, I hope, have made me a better rider.
I really wished I had started doing this years ago.

Typhon

Partly to mitigate lard retention, but mostly because I like going weeeeeeeeeeeee on a bicycle.

Put it better than I could have done. :laugh: This, absolutely this.

Because I still can. As I get older things get harder to do and cycling has been one of them. I love the feeling of the outdoors wizing by and each time I go out it gets easier and longer, yey. So in that respect I think I like the feeling of the progress.:girldance:

Alan57

I`ve always loved bikes and cycling. I cycle everywhere because I can no longer afford to run a car , and I still enjoy cycling, (although on cold wet miserable days it take a little more time for the enjoyment factor/endorphins to kick in )

Sandra6

Veteran
I really don't know why I became so passionate about cycling, or why I feel so inspired to do it, but I do.
I first got on a bike to lose weight - tbh I didn't really lose much, I was that slow and every trip tended to involve stopping off for food!
I kept cycling because I just enjoyed it so much. The wind on your face and sun on your back (sometimes) and all that jazz.
I use my bike a lot more now for practical reasons, it's just much quicker to get to places, and I can go further under my own steam than on foot.

yello

My inspiration is arguably lack of inspiration - I find cycling reinvigorates me.

As to why I keep doing it, I don't really know. Perhaps because I'm easily bored!

I don't ride for any particular reason. I don't commute or race or anything. Riding is strictly a choice thing for me and I fortunately have a lot of time to indulge myself. Wouldn't want it any other way in truth.

flatflr

Guru
First for me it's general fitness, I used to run quite a bit but started having some problems with my knees so thought I'd give cycling a go and it's helping lots.
Second is challenging myself on distance and speed both or which are slowly increasing:smile:

Top Bottom