Your inspiration to get on a bike? And why do you keep doing it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I bought a bike to travel the couple of miles to work, but rarely used it, a few years later started using it to go into the countryside for some "me time" to get away from work pressures etc and found I really enjoyed it. Bought a better bike and started using it to go to work on (now 16 miles each way) as well as for sheer enjoyment, then drifted away from cycling for a few years. Recently got back into it and just love the sense of freedom. Its exercise, should help lose weight (weight loss hindered by beer habit though), and I love the endorphins buzz. Jibbed the gym to do more cycling, and now wonder how I ever found the gym appealing.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The blind faith that one of these days I will find that once more it's warm enough to feel the sun and wind tickling my legs. Meanwhile I dress up in layer upon layer so that when that day finally arrives, I'll still remember how to cycle.

Today's inspiration was a drunken conversation last night and the chance to ride with an ol' mate today. Also the chance to inspire a developing junior track champion and take 'em on a 50 mile hack around the neighbourhood. Great ride, some good pace lines in 15-20mph head winds. My mate's a track coach and he dragged the young lad out on a ride as part of his endurance training. The just 15 year old lad did pretty well, holding 20-21 when leading the pace line and surviving the 50 miles sufficiently well enough to manage a sprint finish at the end.

I have no idea if he was inspired by riding with two old farts. I was inspired to see not all teenagers spend there lives playing video games.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
For me it's a feeling of freedom. I'm doing what I want, when I want, and no-one can take it away from me. In a life of so many restrictions, it's something that is totally up to me, and the effort I put into it. It's also a feeling that for me is addictive.
Freedom was my inspiration to get on a bike. I can still vaguely remember the first time I learned to ride a 2 wheeler and my surprise that my grandad had stopped holding on to the saddle some yards back. Naturally this surprise was too much and I went down but not for long. From that moment on I was freer than ever before and I could get to wild and exotic places like the shops and the play grounds in no time.
Freedom, independence and the ability to travel wherever I liked whenever I wanted to. They were what appealed to me about cycling when I started and are still the best reasons I have to carry on cycling. Excuse me but I'm welling up.:cry:

Top Bottom