Your latest purchase (Non bike related)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Just so happens that mine was half interesting.

Yesterday morning I got up bright and early to do some work on the car. I needed to fit a new top-link to the front suspension and change the knock sensor. The suspension arm turn out to be really easy and was done by about 9am. The knock sensor was a totall bitch! On a scale of one to ten on the awkward bitch scale it was a ten.

The knock sensor detects pre-ignition in the engine and the ECU retards the timing to protect it. The sensor is bolted to the block by a single bolt, right in the middle of the back of it! Which on my car means it's underneath the inlet manifold, above the starter and has a metal coolent pipe over it. There are only two ways to get to it. One is to remove the plenim chamber, inlet manifold and injector rail. The other is from underneath where there is just enough room to get a couple of fingers to the sensor between all the gubbins around it. One bolt though, how hard could it be!

10028_12365.jpg

So I get a ring spanner into the bolt. It is solid! In the very limited room it is impossible to get any purchase onto it, there is no room to get a bigger, longer tool in and all attempts to make up some kind of extension arm to apply more preasure failed. It was driving me mad. So it ocured to me that if I had swivel-headed ratchet ring spanners I might be able to get the spanner pointed in a direction that would allow me to fit a lever bar of some kind to it. So I borrowed my neighbours little van and bought my last purchase, a set of these:

HALFORDS-professional-10-piece-flexhead-ratchet-spanner-set.jpg

Not things I would normally buy as I think they are of very limited use but.

Did they work? Did they stuff :0( Eventually I did get it undone. And eventually I got the new sensor bolted in, must've taken me at least thirty minutes just to get the bolt into the hole, yes, it's that awkward. In total it took me four hours to remove one bolt and put it back in again.

So my last purchase was a set of wanky spanners that I will probably never use again in my life. At least they were reduced and 'only' cost me £40... :0(

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
A bottle of Brahma beer and the Brazilian equivalent of a cheese pasty.

My last sizeable purchase was the thing I am writing this on - my Acer Aspire One netbook.

OP
OP
I

iGaz

Mr Pig said:
Just so happens that mine was half interesting.

Yesterday morning I got up bright and early to do some work on the car. I needed to fit a new top-link to the front suspension and change the knock sensor. The suspension arm turn out to be really easy and was done by about 9am. The knock sensor was a totall bitch! On a scale of one to ten on the awkward bitch scale it was a ten.

The knock sensor detects pre-ignition in the engine and the ECU retards the timing to protect it. The sensor is bolted to the block by a single bolt, right in the middle of the back of it! Which on my car means it's underneath the inlet manifold, above the starter and has a metal coolent pipe over it. There are only two ways to get to it. One is to remove the plenim chamber, inlet manifold and injector rail. The other is from underneath where there is just enough room to get a couple of fingers to the sensor between all the gubbins around it. One bolt though, how hard could it be!

10028_12365.jpg

So I get a ring spanner into the bolt. It is solid! In the very limited room it is impossible to get any purchase onto it, there is no room to get a bigger, longer tool in and all attempts to make up some kind of extension arm to apply more preasure failed. It was driving me mad. So it ocured to me that if I had swivel-headed ratchet ring spanners I might be able to get the spanner pointed in a direction that would allow me to fit a lever bar of some kind to it. So I borrowed my neighbours little van and bought my last purchase, a set of these:

Did they work? Did they stuff :0( Eventually I did get it undone. And eventually I got the new sensor bolted in, must've taken me at least thirty minutes just to get the bolt into the hole, yes, it's that awkward. In total it took me four hours to remove one bolt and put it back in again.

So my last purchase was a set of wanky spanners that I will probably never use again in my life. At least they were reduced and 'only' cost me £40... :0(

Don't drive a Kia by anychance?!!

simonali

Guru
An external hard drive. I thought that as My Documents folder was approaching 120GB it might be a good idea to do some backing up!

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Mr Pig said:
So I borrowed my neighbours little van and bought my last purchase, a set of these:

Did they work? Did they stuff :0(

Someone didn't go to Halfrauds by any chance?:biggrin:

Incidentily, my last purchse was a return to Billericay.

Top Bottom