Your least favourite film?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ben

ajevans said:
I hate almost all remakes, which are usually remade for no good reason other than to take money away from non-discerning idiots...

Wouldn't say either film was fantastic but I think the 1997 version of Titanic is better than the 1953 version (which I think also won a couple of Oscars).

chris42

Titanic!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Ben;37357][quote=ajevans said:
I hate almost all remakes, which are usually remade for no good reason other than to take money away from non-discerning idiots...

Wouldn't say either film was fantastic but I think the 1997 version of Titanic is better than the 1953 version (which I think also won a couple of Oscars).[/QUOTE]

a night to remember was a straight telling of the conventional story of the titanic, as opposed to titanic which, although laudably accurate in it's portrayal of many of the events and personalities, chose to put a fictional love story in for reasons that i don't even care about.

the first film is the more emotive imho. but both good films.

ajevans

Ben;37357][quote=ajevans said:

Wouldn't say either film was fantastic but I think the 1997 version of Titanic is better than the 1953 version (which I think also won a couple of Oscars).[/QUOTE]

Hence my "almost all" caveat plus an example of a good remake.

Titanic '97 isn't a remake of Titanic '53, they're different stories centered around the same historical event.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'm willing to bet the forthcoming Hollywood remake of Dambusters will be sh!t on a stick. Those brave USAF types winning WW2 all on thier own...;)
Don't get me started on the re-made Italian Job. Or The Jackal, for that matter.
I need a lie down in a dark room now.:biggrin:

Ben

alecstilleyedye said:
a night to remember was a straight telling of the conventional story of the titanic, as opposed to titanic which, although laudably accurate in it's portrayal of many of the events and personalities, chose to put a fictional love story in for reasons that i don't even care about.

the first film is the more emotive imho. but both good films.

'A Night To Remember' was yet another Titanic film (1955). Never seen it though.

Mr Phoebus

alecstilleyedye;37396][quote name= said:
starred in? You know the one?

is that the one with whatshisname who was in that other film set in, oh you know…?[/QUOTE]
Might be? That sounds a bit like old whatshisface.[/I]

twowheelsgood

ET. I have a pathological hatred of that movie. I'm not sure why, I was 11 at the time of release, so I guess I was pretty much the target audience. I think mushy sentimentality of it grated even at the time.

I agree on the remakes, very, very rarely a good idea. I recent saw the remake of "flight of the Phoenix" (with Hugh Laurie) and I can't for the life of me understand why they bothered, absolutely the same in nearly every detail (not that the original was a work of classic genius).

I like "A night to Remember" very much. A pretty ambitious movie for it's time, espeically given the budget - apparently some of the model scenes were filmed on the Serpentine! Other than the event, the story bares no relation to Titanic.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
twowheelsgood said:
I like "A night to Remember" very much. A pretty ambitious movie for it's time, espeically given the budget - apparently some of the model scenes were filmed on the Serpentine! Other than the event, the story bares no relation to Titanic.

you have to remember that titanic was made after the discovery of the ship in 1985 wheras night to remember retold the facts as known at the time (hence the ship going down in one piece).

gkerr4

last man standing - bruce willis i think. Went to the cinema to see it where it was a case of last man sitting - as everyone was walking out. I hate walking out on a film but was seriously tempted with that one.

there is one other film that I loathe too - can't remember it's name though. Sci-fi thing there the ship is basically going to hell - awful, truly awful

in response to the OP though - I really like Happy Gilmour

Christopher

Über Member
Another vote for 'Shining Through' - so bad it's funny.

The French make some tremendous films but I can't stand the 3 hour ones featuring bourgousie characters talking about how great Paris is and what wonderful lives they have. Paris is wonderful, but even so...

and mismatched-buddy-cop films trying to replicate the success of '48 Hours' (which is a good film but sure spawned some horrible ones)

Pete

alecstilleyedye said:
you have to remember that titanic was made after the discovery of the ship in 1985 wheras night to remember retold the facts as known at the time (hence the ship going down in one piece).
Not necessarily. I believe some authorities say that the ship broke in two amidships after sinking, on its way down. Witness reports from survivors are inconclusive. Hence ANTR may be the more accurate after all!

Most people who grew up on the classic (usually B/W) original are bound to hate the re-make - human nature! I certainly feel like that re Psycho, King Kong, Village of the Damned, etc. But not War of the Worlds, have to concede that the re-make was better - but then the original 1960's one was real tacky B-movie stuff!

Moulin Rouge? Now there's one I really couldn't make sense of! But I was expecting it to be a re-make of the classic 1950's (Jose Ferrer) version - took me half-way through the film to realise it wasn't: totally different story, different characters, etc, etc.

Top Bottom