Your Local?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Any good?
Why's it your local?

It's taken two years to fin d a decent boozer round here and think I have done. Eventually!

It's the wrong end of town for being handy but sells good ale and does plenty of live music.

Debian

longers said:
Any good?
Why's it your local?

It's taken two years to fin d a decent boozer round here and think I have done. Eventually!

It's the wrong end of town for being handy but sells good ale and does plenty of live music.

Isn't your local supposed to be the pub that's... errr... local to you? I.e. the closest one?

shippers

I live about 100 meters from a pub that's so bad I've been in twice in 8 years. My "Local" is about a mile away, but even that probably only get a visit every 8 weeks or so.
Children and poverty* can really ruin your social life!

*much of the poverty is bicycle (and other non-essential crap) buying induced, and as such neither attracts nor deserves sympathy.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Mine is a very decent pub of a slightly old-fashioned style. Suburban chic with a good clientele, pretty barmaids and 3 real ales including Harveys.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I use a boozer two miles away even though we have two in the village. The village pubs tend to be football orientated and therefore of no interest to me. On the other hand, the very friendly pub two miles hence sells excellent real ale and good cider. The roaring log fire in winter is also fine by me.

montage

God Almighty
Red Lion and Cuckoo pint.
Both could do with getting some real ale.

For real beer I have to travel a couple of miles to the titchfield mill.
Red Lion does great live bands on fridays

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My local, The Dog and Gun, is fifteen miles from home but just under half a mile from work. Once, when their cash machine developed a fault, they lent me money to continue boozing in a pub down the road and then head off for a curry. They also have a couple of guest real ales every week and don't have a juke box.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Live in central London so loads of pubs around, but I walk 10 minutes down the road to the one I like, because the nearest ones are all near the tube station and are Wetherspoon types, or too trendy with £4 pints....

Bayerd

Über Member
£4 pints? ouch..

My local is just short of a mile away. There are others nearer, but my local serves a good rotating variety of guest ales at £2 a pint, serves free pop to drivers if you're in a team of 4 or more (means the missus drinks for free) and welcomes kids. It's a typical old fashioned boozer that serves homecooked food. I think the main reason why they can cater for my needs is because it's owner run and not part of a chain. If you speak to the landlord and request products or services to be added, he'll consider it and if it's viable, he'll do it.

My local is so close I almost sleep on the tables outside!
Naff.
The next nearest is called The Re Bar ('Re' because the bloke probably forgot wht it was going to be called when he started writing...) It is full of portly, sad, grey men :wacko: and the odd bimbo-ed up entourage - all spill out onto the pavements for a suck on a WD & HO Wills...
A minute's walk away, on the other side of the road, is 'Champers' Over 21's only (we're talking IQ here.) They have invented a new singing phenomenon called 'Karanokey' - it is dire, with a Capital 'S'. :thumbsup:

View: http://vimeo.com/8253769

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My local (and ILB's when he is here) is a pub called The Buff. It's a chavtastic footballing big screen paradise. But prices are pretty keen. Pint of Ruddles and a pint of Guinness for £5.25

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Debian said:
Isn't your local supposed to be the pub that's... errr... local to you? I.e. the closest one?

No, the ones closest to me are famous for selling shoot beer. One of them is proud of his Carling. Another sells good beer but is full of racist twats.

My old local is superb, but not local anymore.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
ianrauk said:
My local (and ILB's when he is here) is a pub called The Buff. It's a chavtastic footballing big screen paradise. But prices are pretty keen. Pint of Ruddles and a pint of Guinness for £5.25

That would set me back over £6 in the Cleveland Arms.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I've found two pubs I like that are local by bicycle :thumbsup:. The real locals are awful :wacko:. Actually one of the two is walkable, like the food, very spacious, can speak, nice view outside in the summer, good food (for a pub). It was on a short list of pubs that were non-smoking before the ban.

montage

God Almighty
ianrauk said:

Ahhh ruddles...the cheap night's drink

Top Bottom