Your minds eye

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Do you find peoples avatars affects your image of them in your minds eye?

Take @Smokin Joe as an example. I've always thought he was an alright bloke, always read his posts with interest, but always though of him as late middle age, quiet, slippers and cardigan kind of guy (nothing wrong with that BTW - I aspire to it!)

Now he's changed his avatar I'm subconsciously thinking of him as a younger chap with a cheeky glint in his eye.

So, is this phenomenon something that afflicts only me?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Surely some people choose an avatar that supports the image they want to project?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm hopeless at guessing what people will be like so quite like when they put up their real selves, or something that depicts what they might be like.

D

Deleted member 26715

Ahhhh, @Phaeton is messing with my mind - for as long as I've been alive his avatar has been a Dutton Phaeton kit car, and now he's changed it!
Actually a Funbuggies Freestyle, which has been sold, but I feel LC Jones is more apt currently.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Do you find peoples avatars affects your image of them in your minds eye?

Take @Smokin Joe as an example. I've always thought he was an alright bloke, always read his posts with interest, but always though of him as late middle age, quiet, slippers and cardigan kind of guy (nothing wrong with that BTW - I aspire to it!)

Now he's changed his avatar I'm subconsciously thinking of him as a younger chap with a cheeky glint in his eye.

So, is this phenomenon something that afflicts only me?

Oh for sure.
It's a whole forum sport, all by itself.
The image people are trying to project versus likely reality.

The more 'macho' projection in the avatar, the more I assume that someone's got a few insecurities to work through..

For the first year or so on here, a lot of folks seemed to think I was a guy..

Because I had a bunch of local beach pebbles, on my avatar :wacko:.

Now my cover is blown, and it's abundantly clear that I am in fact, a large purple vegetable.. :rolleyes:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I think there's probably a complete PhD thesis to be done on why we choose the avatar we do.
Like someone above said, the image we want to project, what was on your mind when choosing, how often it's changed. Could be quite interesting.

I've already got a spreadsheet going, and the proposal is in to my professor :rolleyes:

Top Bottom