Your original home town.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
Solihull, nice by the standards of the general area but glad I left it in 95 and never moved back, nor will I. Actually popped into the town centre a week ago, after visiting family. The main square isn’t the same with no Woolies and now the M&S has been shut down. Killed any character and everybody goes to what I consider to be a new shopping mall but in actuality it was built in the early nineties. In my head it is always new, showing my age I suppose.
I worked in Solihull from 2012 up to 2018 when I was made redundant. I spent every lunch break having a walk around Solihull and quite a few of them "doing the shopping". When I read your post, that surprised me about M&S.

freiston

Veteran
I grew up in Boston, Lincolnshire and moved away at 19 years old in 1983, for a short time in South East London and then on to Coventry. So I've lived in Coventry most of my life.

I go back to Boston occasionally due to family. I didn't particularly like it when I lived there and I don't now. Though it did/does have some attraction as a rural market town with a historical heritage.

It has deteriorated since I left but then again I think most places have been on the decline over the last 40 years. My impression is that many of the folk of Boston tend to think that this is particular to their town and that they have particular circumstances that has caused the decline - as though decline is special or unique to them. I reckon that those particular circumstances are more scapegoats and that some people will always see the "proof" of their beliefs - they may even influence it.

yello

My impression is that many of the folk of Boston tend to think that this is particular to their town and that they have particular circumstances that has caused the decline - as though decline is special or unique to them.
I think that very true. That is to say, I don't know Boston or its townsfolk but I do know that people generally can make such assumptions. I think maybe some people don't realise that what they see is indicative of what is happening in many places. It may not be the exact same thing nor manifesting itself in the same way but the underlying causes can be the same. We're all in it together! (except for those that aren't of course)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I lived there till I was 18, and not since. I go back every few years for a reunion with old pals, and coincidentally a few friends who I know from elsewhere have moved there. I grew up in a council house on the edge of town, and when I was 13, we moved next door, as it was a corner plot and had a huge garden (my old man was very green-fingered). There is an extra house on that garden plot these days.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's for me to know :okay:
Near London.
Does it involve an unusually large marrow?

It is small for a county town, having little more than 50,000 people... plus a good fifteen thousand students to give the locals fifteen thousand things to constantly moan about. As for selling a city to someone... i can't. It has my friends and my mother here and I guess that's all that's kept me. I think I like the area more than the city (it's small so there's little on offer).

The seaside is that way⬅️, the Lakes are just up there↖️, the Dales are over that way↗️, Bowland is literally over that hill➡️ Pendle and the Pennines are down yonder↘️ and the pancake flat Fylde is just down there↙️ so for cycling, it's a flat or as hilly as i want and I'm out in open countryside in minutes. I wouldn't want to live anywhere bigger than the little city.
thanks - I'll be going over the hills/bowland when I get a chance - closest I have got to it on a bike was the Quernmore crossroads when I turned for the piggin climb up to the Jubilee tower on the way to the Ribble Valley - glorious view of Morecambe bay whenever I stopped (a fair bit) though. Pity there's no bus service through the Trough to the Ribble Valley - there used to be sometimes.

So Lancaster (and Morecambe) are on the list.

You're right of course about all those varied natural wonders close by - the south east can't compete with that.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Solihull, nice by the standards of the general area but glad I left it in 95 and never moved back, nor will I. Actually popped into the town centre a week ago, after visiting family. The main square isn’t the same with no Woolies and now the M&S has been shut down. Killed any character and everybody goes to what I consider to be a new shopping mall but in actuality it was built in the early nineties. In my head it is always new, showing my age I suppose.
I remember when Chelmsley Wood was amalgamated into Solihull. I did a few races at North Solihull Sports Centre back in the 1980's, I remember running past a pub called " The Centurion " several times as it was a lapped race, much to the bemusement of the drinkers stood outside enjoying the sunshine. 🍻

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I was born on the top of Shooters Hill, SE London, in the War Memorial hospital two years after the middle of the last century. Grew up in Eltham Park, where there were no pubs and only one Off Licence, built on the bridge over the railway near the station. The 'No alcohol' edict, I believe, was due to the original land owner being a Scottish chap whose religion/beliefs abhorred the devil's brew! (Hence most of the roads in the area being Scottish)
Eltham High Street, however, made up for it with 13 pubs. Not many finished a pub crawl there :laugh:
I've not been back for many a year having left the area when I was 17 due to the scene I wanted to escape, and the 27 year old lady I was involved with was getting a bit too intense :blush:

I lived two roads away from Bob Hope, the 'American' TV & film star, but never knew him.

I might pop down for a sentimental ride around there sometime soon. 🚲
There’s a micro pub on the parade of shops now.
Was the A2 around when you left? It cut the park in half.
And Bob Hope left the UK in 1908!

Top Bottom