Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

Ah, I shall look for that next time round. Thanks.
Don't bother going left after the gate - there's just a quad bike track that goes through a deep wet bog before petering out when the bracken starts. There is no land rover track as nothing bigger than a quad has been past the gate since the river started undermining the bank and taking the old track (bridleway with it) a good few years ago.

Nice to see the wooden pegs I banged in along the bridleway earlier this year are still there ;)

Don't bother going left after the gate - there's just a quad bike track that goes through a deep wet bog before petering out when the bracken starts. There is no land rover track as nothing bigger than a quad has been past the gate since the river started undermining the bank and taking the old track (bridleway with it) a good few years ago.

Nice to see the wooden pegs I banged in along the bridleway earlier this year are still there ;)
Strange; I followed the fence twice this year it definitely comes to an old track and I found it easier than the sheep trod most people use but there again I have never been over it on a bike. but I do think that the track that most people are using needs taking away from the river.

Cold

Shoes still not completely dry from the storm on Friday, but I managed to spin-dry them on the road today. Fancied a climbing fix, so mixed it up a bit and did a slightly different route up onto the Cotswold edge, via Leonard Stanley,Middleyard and Selsley, up to Selsley Common and Coaley Peak. Was pleased to manage it in one go, before resting for a drink at the Coaley Peak Viewpoint. I would recommend this route to anyobne esle wondering how to get up on top of the Cotswolds from the Vale of Gloucester for the first time, as it rises in a series of manageable steps. The toughest parts are at the bottom (in Leonard Stanley) and the top (where you turn right over the cattle grid towards the common). To get back down into the Vale, I recommend Frocester Hill, which has been recently re-surfaced with lovely smooth, pothole free tarmac, allowing you to cut loose and let go of the brakes.

Back down Frocester Hill @35mph with a huge grin on my face, before doing my usual return around the lanes between Frampton on Severn and Gloucester. 31.6 miles today. Approaching 950 miles for the year so far.

I've been doing this route recently except I continue on to Uley and fall off that cliff into Dursley and the views above Selsley are stunning.

D

Deleted member 23692

... but I do think that the track that most people are using needs taking away from the river.
Unfortunately that is the definitive line. But it would be better moved and in time it no doubt will ... and that is all I can say about it at present ;)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Another 10km, and also another absolutely roastingly hot day. After having my haircut I decided to go home, get changed and get out for a pootle around. There were some very dark clouds but once agan the rain held off. I took some photos, but I forgot my glasses and the the sun was in the wrong place for some of the photos
20140619_144932.jpg

not a terribly good photo of some cows im afraid.
20140619_142550.jpg

once again, the clouds seem to be following me, but at least it didnt rain. It might cool things down a bit if it did though .
20140619_150357.jpg

all in all a nice ride. Very little traffic, just 4 or 5 cars, and one tractor.

Archeress

Veteran
I had the first session of a stress and mood management course today, so of course I cycled over there. The Mio was indicating temperatures of 24+ and there were some strong breezes. I was late starting out because of a call from Phones 4U to do with upgrading my phone that took 45 minutes. I had to get to Yate and had checked out some routes on Google Maps, but being late, took the one I knew that I would normally take if I were in a car. The course mostly featured what stress and anxiety are and the indicators. Next session we'll start into the CBT side of things more. After leaving the centre at 14:30 I needed something to eat and the community cafe in the centre was closed so I headed into Yate town centre / shopping centre and had a toastie at Costa. I then set off heading for the railway station as I wanted to pop into the bike shop on station road "Bike Station". Its family run and even though I've never really spent much in there, they're always happy to see me, even if it's just for a chat. Then it was time for the ride home. I was very happy with my average speed for the ride, but wish I had remembered the heart rate belt before leaving.

http://www.strava.com/activities/155497107

Hugs
Archeress

Unfortunately that is the definitive line. But it would be better moved and in time it no doubt will ... and that is all I can say about it at present ;)
If I have the time and the inclination I will check the 10 inch definitive map and statement the next time I am in Carlisle Library. I think the true line is above the one being used but below what I suggested using.

D

Deleted member 23692

If I have the time and the inclination I will check the 10 inch definitive map and statement the next time I am in Carlisle Library. I think the true line is above the one being used but below what I suggested using.
There no need - I can check the only true legal map at work, and have done so on frequent occasions. Those stakes seen on the video mark the definitive line. When making it out I was surprised that the line is still on terra firma and not hanging in mid air. The actual old cart track is long gone, but is still quite evident towards the old (and new) bridge.

robjh

Legendary Member
Left work in Coventry at 4 pm yesterday, and hurried down through Leamington and Wellesbourne to the first hills of the Cotswolds, which rise abruptly at Ilmington, about 20 miles into my ride. From then on it was never less than wonderful, as I wove down minor roads nearly as far as the A40, then turned right to reach Cheltenham around 8.30 where I got a train back to Brum. It was lovely lumpy country, and a warm evening with a light tailwind. If I had to choose highlights it would be the road from Ilmington to Charingworth with its sweeping views towards Shipston on Stour and beyond, and woodland a bit further south towards Guiting Power, or the first sight of Cheltenham from a hill road above Charlton Kings, but it was all good. Did about 60 miles to Cheltenham, then 14 back from Brum to get back to my bed.

The road from Ilmington - into the Cotswolds
20140618 Cov to Cheltenham ride (2) Ilmington to Charingworth.JPG
20140618 Cov to Cheltenham ride (5A) Ilmington to Charingworth.jpg

a bit further on... ; the village of Naunton
20140618 Cov to Cheltenham ride (7) S of A424.JPG
20140618 Cov to Cheltenham ride (8A) Naunton.jpg

and nearer the start of the ride, near Wellesbourne ; Walton Hall
20140618 Cov to Cheltenham ride (11) near Wellesbourne.JPG
20140618 Cov to Cheltenham ride (12) Walton Hall.JPG

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I've been doing this route recently except I continue on to Uley and fall off that cliff into Dursley and the views above Selsley are stunning.
It's nice to ring the changes, but I always seem to end up there on Selsley Common or Coaley Peak. Always a bit disappointing if the icecream van isn't there, though, as the promise of a Cornetto is my main motivation in not giving up on the climb.

Personally I like climbing up Frocester Hill because of the far reaching views on the way up, but that road through Uley is a good 'un too, and quite similar.

Occasionally I take the railway path from Dudbridge to Nailsworth, then take on that beast of a hill up to Nympsfield via the FGR football ground to approach Coaley Peak the back way. Up the straight long climb from Dudbridge to Selsley Common is a nice climb too, if you've got the legs. Either way, I'm afraid I winch myself up slowly at 3.5 or 4 mph in the granny gear - my only aim being to get up in one go without stopping.

I mentioned the Middleyard route because I remember a time when I thought I was never going be able to get to the top of these hills, but when I found that route, the 3 gradual steps up made it possible for the first time. Now I actually enjoy climbing. If it wasn't for practising on Frocester Hill, I would never have been able to climb my first Alp last year. I guess the moral of the story is that you've just got to keep plugging away, trying every road you can find until you find a way up that hill you've always wanted to climb.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Finally managed to get out on something other than a commute for the first time in a fortnight. Nothing remarkable except that I managed to time it to co-inside with the cloudiest, dampest, coldest part of the day. No plan except for a round trip of 40 miles and, as it was on the Kona, the use of some of the rougher back roads.

http://www.strava.com/activities/155567531

However when I got back I found this in my fuchsias - the photo doesn't do justice to just how blue its body was.

Blue.jpg

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
After a quick trip to the supermarket to see how it handles with weight in all 4 panniers, I rode home on the new bike this evening. Although a pleasure to ride, it became evident that it's not set up properly so I'll pop back to the LBS tomorrow and can tinker with it next week when I'm in Brittany. (For the record, buying a new bike just before you take it on holiday isn't the best idea.)

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
After a quick trip to the supermarket to see how it handles with weight in all 4 panniers, I rode home on the new bike this evening. Although a pleasure to ride, it became evident that it's not set up properly so I'll pop back to the LBS tomorrow and can tinker with it next week when I'm in Brittany. (For the record, buying a new bike just before you and it go away on holiday isn't the best idea.)
I'm sure it'll be easy enough to fix. Enjoy your Brittany trip.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Left work in Coventry at 4 pm yesterday, and hurried down through Leamington and Wellesbourne to the first hills of the Cotswolds, which rise abruptly at Ilmington, about 20 miles into my ride. From then on it was never less than wonderful, as I wove down minor roads nearly as far as the A40, then turned right to reach Cheltenham around 8.30 where I got a train back to Brum. It was lovely lumpy country, and a warm evening with a light tailwind. If I had to choose highlights it would be the road from Ilmington to Charingworth with its sweeping views towards Shipston on Stour and beyond, and woodland a bit further south towards Guiting Power, or the first sight of Cheltenham from a hill road above Charlton Kings, but it was all good. Did about 60 miles to Cheltenham, then 14 back from Brum to get back to my bed.

The road from Ilmington - into the Cotswolds
View attachment 48075 View attachment 48076

a bit further on... ; the village of Naunton
View attachment 48077 View attachment 48078

and nearer the start of the ride, near Wellesbourne ; Walton Hall
View attachment 48079 View attachment 48080

Stayed in Walton Hall about 16 years ago in the in laws time share week, full of Americans......
"Gee, we're off on a day trip today..."
"Where?"
"Cornwall"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom