Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dark46

Veteran
Saturday I rode from Quedgeley to Yate to a friends Open day at his work , then to my Mums. In total it was 31.8 miles which took me down the A38 until Fairfield when I cross the M5 up to Leyhill to Charfield, then turned right at the island through Rangeworthy then turned left into Manor Road. From there up the hill till the Badminton Road where I turned right towards Bristol. Then up into Mayshill. I stayed there about 20 mins then went back down the hill towards Yate but turned in to Nibley Lane and the end I turned left into Yate under the railway bridge into the town. That in total came to 31.8 miles in

Then yesterday I headed from Mums up Rodford Way into Kennedy Way then turned left into St Johns Road and across Chipping Sodbury High Street and up the Wickwar Road. After the Buthay Inn down the hill then left towards the quarry. At the end if the road I turned right into Charfield then left at the island and down towards the M5 where I got upto 40.39mph . I then turned right on to the A38 north towards home and into a headwind. I averaged 13.9 mph back home and covered 27.8 miles in 1hr 59m 43s.

About 2-3 miles west of the Westlands^_^
I can see the top of Keele bank from my house, it's about 1mile away:thumbsup:

People who know the area will know my hill climb, every single ride out and in includes Alsagers Bank and Black Bank. I should be like a whippet riding those very day, unfortunately, I'm not:laugh:
my ride over to my grandfathers (which is +100km ride) also includes Alsagers Bank one way and Keele Bank in the other (unless I am going via my mothers as well in which case I get to go Alsagers Bank both ways)... and I always end up doing it with panniers on as well...:wacko:

djb1971

Legendary Member
my ride over to my grandfathers (which is +100km ride) also includes Alsagers Bank one way and Keele Bank in the other (unless I am going via my mothers as well in which case I get to go Alsagers Bank both ways)... and I always end up doing it with panniers on as well...:wacko:

I've got no choice unless I don't want to go home:bicycle:

djb1971

Legendary Member
The newcastle to Crewe way is about 1.5 miles but a steady 4-7%. The Crewe to Newcastle is about 2.5 miles from the start of Halmerend to the very top Scot Hay turning, with a 20% peak max. over a section.

Coming through Silverdale cuts off all of the climbs:thumbsup: Just leaves a fast descent down the bank. You can get over 54mph going down it, so I've been told:whistle:

It's a bugger on a standard chainset and 25 cassette after a 100 miler, at least the kettles on when I get home:thumbsup:

If you're stuck anytime or need a brew, pop me a pm and you can call in for a cuppa!

gavgav

Guru
A bit of an unpleasant ride at times this evening, due to the copious plagues of Midges that have descended on Shropshire!

I spent most of the 26 miles spitting the beggars out of my mouth, swiping them off my bare legs and arms before they had me for Sunday lunch and flicking them off my glasses. I even considered, at one point, taking my buff off my head, that I always wear under the helmet and using it as a face mask. I decided it was more trouble than it was worth and they would be nesting in my hair instead.

The route was very similar to last Thursday, but I extended it with a loop down to Isombridge, Longdon on Tern and Rodington.

Nothing else to report, other than the bloody midges!!

This is likely to be my last after work ride until the Spring I think, as the evenings are getting dark too early to make it worthwhile going out and I'm not a cycle in the dark person.

Got a 60 mile sportive for Prostate Cancer to look forward to on Sunday though, which @Rickshaw Phil is joining me for.

djb1971

Legendary Member
I'm not a cycle in the dark person.

Get some good lights, night riding is fantastic! After 8-9.00pm in winter the roads are empty:thumbsup:

If you can take man eating midges, you can brave the dark:girl::girldance:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Misjudged this morning as although it was :sun: it was also :cold:. Shorts were not the best idea. (Yes, I'm nesh and I won't deny it.)

Longer hours this week and I'm setting out just after the rush hour when the roads aren't too busy and coming back between the school rush and the evening rush. Apart from being cold the run in was nice with some good views of the hills poking up through low lying mist.

Work was manic - much busier than last monday and six pallet loads of parts were delivered just before I finished so I won't run out of things to do for the next fortnight.:blink:

Much warmer this afternoon for the trip home. The driver of an Audi Q7 waited patiently at a passing place for me, which was very polite and the A49 section was quiet which suits me very nicely.:thumbsup:

20.2 miles round trip and 13.1 mph average.

DSC0001644.jpg

Low lying mist round the Stretton hills. It looked better in real life.

DSC0001645.jpg

Say cheese!

gavgav

Guru
Misjudged this morning as although it was :sun: it was also :cold:. Shorts were not the best idea. (Yes, I'm nesh and I won't deny it.)

Longer hours this week and I'm setting out just after the rush hour when the roads aren't too busy and coming back between the school rush and the evening rush. Apart from being cold the run in was nice with some good views of the hills poking up through low lying mist.

Work was manic - much busier than last monday and six pallet loads of parts were delivered just before I finished so I won't run out of things to do for the next fortnight.:blink:

Much warmer this afternoon for the trip home. The driver of an Audi Q7 waited patiently at a passing place for me, which was very polite and the A49 section was quiet which suits me very nicely.:thumbsup:

20.2 miles round trip and 13.1 mph average.

View attachment 57105
Low lying mist round the Stretton hills. It looked better in real life.

View attachment 57106
Say cheese!
Nothing nesh about this morning, it was bloody cold!! 6c on my car going to work. Nice and warm this afternoon though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom