Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Longer commute in today and was well over-dressed and had to thin out the layers part way round;took a while to get going but a nice 50k done.New longer stem and different bars made a difference to the cross bike but still need better pedals.

http://www.strava.com/activities/198288563

brand

Get some good lights, night riding is fantastic! After 8-9.00pm in winter the roads are empty:thumbsup:

If you can take man eating midges, you can brave the dark:girl::girldance:
Very true. Decided to cycle to a pub which I had never been to before because it was on a very very busy A road. No way to get to it on a back roads as it was on a roundabout of 2 A roads. Went 9pm and zig zag in and out of the white lines as there was nothing on the road at all.
Got there looked through the door 2 beautiful women at the bar and who I assumed was the landlord. Door was locked so I banged on. He begrudgingly came to the door and informed me he was closed? "At 9 pm" we don't open tonight.
The pub was closed down shortly afterwards. There was an American style Motel behind the pub which belong to it.
A rural bordello who would have thought it? Although I was aggrieved I wasn't offered any of the delights on offer! Must have been by appointment only!

Last edited:

Learnincurve

Car drivers are bloody rude. Today I hear something very large behind me and as I am about to pull out to go round a lone car parked where it should not be (no pavement) I decide to pull up behind it and let whatever the beast is that's getting closer past. It's a huge dumper truck going about the same speed I was and the driver pulls his horn as he goes past and yells thanks. The huge train of cars behind it on the other hand did not let me back into the road, we are talking 5 mins of me trapped there like "wtf". Anyway, the last car goes past and I am able to make it round the car and onto the pavement 50 yards ahead of it. Then I burn it and overtake every single one of those miserable swines as they trundle along in their dump truck queue. Had I been a better rider I would have done it one handed with two fingers up.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I seem to have lost my my mojo for long rides, I haven't been out for ages.

I went for an 11.6 miles today to order some new carpet and buy some sugar so I could make some fig jam. I also popped into the estate agent to get them chivvy up our buyer a bit. A pleasant enough ride, another one of those jeans, trainers and no helmet rides. I have the devil in me lately, so I do.

No ride photos today, so here is a photo of the jam I just made. It's still very very hot.

photo.JPG

Fig Jam

Bicester Loop.png
Bicester Loop2.png

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I think that building was used as Lord Scrumptious Sweet Factory in the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Close, but that was the Kempton Waterworks in Hanworth. They still run up the steam pumps a couple of times a year, and it's well worth going along.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
76 miles with 984 m climbing up a mountain to another castle. Bloody high. Bloody hot.

http://cyprusonabianchi.blogspot.com/

I got a feature in my Local Bike Shop blog too !
http://www.questadventure.co.uk/cycling-in-cyprus-with-no-particular-plan.html

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Cold again this morning so I opted for trousers with zip off legs, which kept me nice and warm on the way in.:thumbsup: The A49 and the road to Condover were surprisingly busy which made me glad to be turning off onto the lanes. The hills were very misty again but not picturesque like yesterday. No squirrel trouble today..... it was pheasants instead :laugh: there was a group of about 20 in the road at Upton Forge.

The evening ride wasn't as good. The wind has turned round to the southwest this eveing and strengthened, but that wasn't the reason; I had a headache and seemed to have no energy in the legs so was quite slow. An annoying creak that has started on the bike didn't help. I think it might be the saddle.

On the plus side I saw a kestrel flying round the edge of the Attingham estate (saw it yesterday as well but forgot to mention).

I had a chap in a Kangoo slow by a passing place when he saw me, but then he decided to barge through anyway :thumbsdown:, however this was offset by a chap in a white van who did wait patiently for me in another passing place and a very good overtake by an artic on the Condover road (thankyou Trevor Pye Transport :thumbsup:)

The A49 wasn't too bad on the way back and the wind was behind me for this bit assisting the run up the hill.

Not my quickest commute with an average of 12.7 for the 20.2 mile round trip. Hoping the legs feel better tomorrow.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Day before yesterdays ride first due to dastardly late finishes for the last few days.....

On Sunday morning, after getting home from work at 02:45 from Saturdays afternoon shift, I felt the need to pop out on the Hardtail for a ride before work at 13:30.. Some weeks I just have to get some fresh air and exercise to clear my head!
I wanted to check summat out near my Granddaughters school (a better place to park the car and walk further rather than clog up the road near her school when I drop her off.) From there, I rode across the Washlands and back home via Houghton, Cogenhoe (pronounced Cook'noe), Ecton and Earls Barton.

DSC_3136.jpg

Not quite sure how I'd pay the fine if I didn't shut the gate... Not that there was a gate in sight to shut! :laugh:

DSC_3138.jpg

The view across the flood plain towards Cogenhoe village.

DSC_3141.jpg

And a meandering stream..
Ahhh, the peaceful serenity before a day at w*rk..

Even worse than that, the local vineyard had an open day :cry::cry::cry:

DSC_3147.jpg

:cry::cry:

DSC_3148.jpg

:banghead:

:cry:

And I couldn't help them out by drinking some! Not even a sniff of the barmaids apron :sad:

Oh well.. A lovely 15 miles to keep the legs turning.
Back home only just in time for lunch, shower and another day keeping the wolf from the door..

Edit: happy with 3 cups on the Strava Leader Board, mainly due to having to get back home in time for w*rk!

http://www.strava.com/activities/197406403

:smile:

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I can sympathise, I seem to have lost mine completely this year for some peculiar reason, normally I do get going, but not this year.:sad:
Sounds like you just need a change of scenery, my friend. Stick the bike on the car and go for a day trip somewhere nice .... the hills, the coast, somewhere picturesque. Does it for me every time things get a bit samey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom