Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
You lucky beggar. We really do have some 1st class countryside right on our doorstep.

We really do.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I'm sure I'll eventually stop going on about Sunday's ride on the Isle of Wight but right now, the memory is as fresh as the sea air was on the day, heated by the brilliant warm sunshine that broke through the early morning mist shrouding the island first thing, hiding it from view from the mainland - disappointing from a photographic point of view, but it added to the anticipation.

DSC00903 (800x596).jpg

Leaving behind a tired but happy dog after her walk, I cycled to Lymington with @Mattonsea, my guide for the day. We topped up our caffeine levels while waiting to board the ferry and then elbowed our way through the swarm of people on deck, all trying to get the best view with the sun in our faces. The adrenalin kicked in as we docked and by the time we'd collected our bikes, a little voice at the back of my head was asking what I'd let myself in for!

Matt had plotted an anticlockwise route to show off the southwestern corner of the island and since the first stop was The Needles, we headed over the Yar Bridge and then up and out of Yarmouth up a hill which was a bit of a shock to the system. However I had to laugh and relax once I'd reached the summit since the signpost did an excellent job of stating the bloomin obvious. We'd just crawled up Hill Lane, also home to Hill Farm according to the OS map on the Garmin. You don't say! The view of Tennyson Monument was magnificent and eased the aching legs as we made our way south to the Needles.

Once there, we rejected the notion of paying to enter the National Trust bit, which offers the closest view of this famous landmark and instead ventured up, up, up onto the headland for a slightly more distant but definitely less crowded vista. The climb was a bit of a [bleep] but the scenery proved that keeping our wallets closed had the extra benefit of experiencing this breathtaking view:

DSC00941 (800x585).jpg

With the legs and lungs recovered, we continued to climb up, up, up to the top:

DSC00948 (800x596).jpg

The headland is home to the Old and New Batteries, Victorian and more modern defences, as well as a secret rocket testing site during the Cold War. Matt went into the bunker to explore while I stayed above ground, enjoying the sunshine and the views over the Solent to the headland. We then made our way to the viewing platform just below the Coastguard's hut/office/thing to see the Needles from the south.
DSC00963 (444x600).jpg

The touristy thing out of our systems, we followed the military road along the coast which offered plenty of time to enjoy the view and sunshine on the climbs and some wonderful descents to keep me grinning from ear to ear.

Looking back:

DSC00971 (450x600).jpg

My belly was rumbling like the waves which constantly beat upon the Island's shores and the last hill before lunch was consequently quite a challenge, despite having devoured two fruisli bars when we paused before the climb. Still, imagining the delights which might be on the menu kept me going but I was pathetically grateful when Matt pointed to the post office in Niton which also home to a superb cafe. To be honest, I'm not sure which was the most impressive: the quality of the food, the speed of the service, the tranquillity of the garden where we sat, the friendliness of the couple who run it ... or the look of incredulity on Matt's face when I said what I was having for lunch. I don't think there's anything wrong with a jacket potato with beans?

IMG_20140928_140947 (450x600).jpg

Maybe it's a good thing I resisted the urge to go for the full English breakfast and to have cake for afters!

The PO/cafe was also home to a friendly dog who didn't understand why we ignored his pleading eyes and refused to share our grub. In retaliation, he refused to share his toys!

DSC00974 (450x600).jpg

Stuffed but content, we regretfully left this little haven and headed into the heart of the island. One thing I couldn't get over (or stop commenting on) was how swiftly and dramatically the landscape kept changing. Chalk cliffs, bleak and barren moorland, rich, warm farmland, rolling hills, bustling villages and quiet hamlets - we saw it all and so much more. Every corner revealed a new scene and if I'd stopped to take photos of every view which made me gasp, I'd still be there...

As it was, I kept thinking "I'm definitely coming back" long before we returned to Yarmouth and I'm as keen to explore the numerous footpaths with the dog as I am the other corners of the island on the bike.

We watched one ferry head back to the mainland just as we reached the edge of Yarmouth but I think we were both happy with that as it removed the need to rush and guaranteed us the time to enjoy something refreshing. We were initially thinking coffee but accidentally fell into the welcoming arms of an ice cream parlour just round the corner from the harbour and it just seemed like the perfect way to round off and celebrate an excellent ride.

IMG_20140928_164925 (450x600).jpg

The only downside to the day was that I didn't wear my gilet for the return crossing and the early evening sea breeze sent my body into panic mode, one of the joys of Reynaud's. "Red alert, red alert! Cool air, hypothermia imminent! Engage emergency protocols, stop that blood from getting to the extremities..." Watching your fingers turn white and lifeless as your body overreacts is always entertaining though as I said to Matt, I'd rather this than hayfever. Still, I was glad when we retreated to the warmth below deck and made sure to retrieve the gilet from my saddlebag before we disembarked in Lymington.

Crossing the Solent at the end of the day - the Needles and Hurst Castle:

DSC00990 (800x600).jpg

Many, many thanks to @Mattonsea for a fabulous day out and introducing me to the Isle of Wight. I will be back!

60 miles all told with 1095 meters of climbing.

IOW map.jpg

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I'm sure I'll eventually stop going on about Sunday's ride on the Isle of Wight but right now, the memory is as fresh as the sea air was on the day, heated by the brilliant warm sunshine that broke through the early morning mist shrouding the island first thing, hiding it from view from the mainland - disappointing from a photographic point of view, but it added to the anticipation.

View attachment 57966

Leaving behind a tired but happy dog after her walk, I cycled to Lymington with @Mattonsea, my guide for the day. We topped up our caffeine levels while waiting to board the ferry and then elbowed our way through the swarm of people on deck, all trying to get the best view with the sun in our faces. The adrenalin kicked in as we docked and by the time we'd collected our bikes, a little voice at the back of my head was asking what I'd let myself in for!

Matt had plotted an anticlockwise route to show off the southwestern corner of the island and since the first stop was The Needles, we headed over the Yar Bridge and then up and out of Yarmouth up a hill which was a bit of a shock to the system. However I had to laugh and relax once I'd reached the summit since the signpost did an excellent job of stating the bloomin obvious. We'd just crawled up Hill Lane, also home to Hill Farm according to the OS map on the Garmin. You don't say! The view of Tennyson Monument was magnificent and eased the aching legs as we made our way south to the Needles.

Once there, we rejected the notion of paying to enter the National Trust bit, which offers the closest view of this famous landmark and instead ventured up, up, up onto the headland for a slightly more distant but definitely less crowded vista. The climb was a bit of a [bleep] but the scenery proved that keeping our wallets closed had the extra benefit of experiencing this breathtaking view:

View attachment 57967

With the legs and lungs recovered, we continued to climb up, up, up to the top:

View attachment 57968

The headland is home to the Old and New Batteries, Victorian and more modern defences, as well as a secret rocket testing site during the Cold War. Matt went into the bunker to explore while I stayed above ground, enjoying the sunshine and the views over the Solent to the headland. We then made our way to the viewing platform just below the Coastguard's hut/office/thing to see the Needles from the south.
View attachment 57969

The touristy thing out of our systems, we followed the military road along the coast which offered plenty of time to enjoy the view and sunshine on the climbs and some wonderful descents to keep me grinning from ear to ear.

Looking back:

View attachment 57970

My belly was rumbling like the waves which constantly beat upon the Island's shores and the last hill before lunch was consequently quite a challenge, despite having devoured two fruisli bars when we paused before the climb. Still, imagining the delights which might be on the menu kept me going but I was pathetically grateful when Matt pointed to the post office in Niton which also home to a superb cafe. To be honest, I'm not sure which was the most impressive: the quality of the food, the speed of the service, the tranquillity of the garden where we sat, the friendliness of the couple who run it ... or the look of incredulity on Matt's face when I said what I was having for lunch. I don't think there's anything wrong with a jacket potato with beans?

View attachment 57973

Maybe it's a good thing I resisted the urge to go for the full English breakfast and to have cake for afters!

The PO/cafe was also home to a friendly dog who didn't understand why we ignored his pleading eyes and refused to share our grub. In retaliation, he refused to share his toys!

View attachment 57971

Stuffed but content, we regretfully left this little haven and headed into the heart of the island. One thing I couldn't get over (or stop commenting on) was how swiftly and dramatically the landscape kept changing. Chalk cliffs, bleak and barren moorland, rich, warm farmland, rolling hills, bustling villages and quiet hamlets - we saw it all and so much more. Every corner revealed a new scene and if I'd stopped to take photos of every view which made me gasp, I'd still be there...

As it was, I kept thinking "I'm definitely coming back" long before we returned to Yarmouth and I'm as keen to explore the numerous footpaths with the dog as I am the other corners of the island on the bike.

We watched one ferry head back to the mainland just as we reached the edge of Yarmouth but I think we were both happy with that as it removed the need to rush and guaranteed us the time to enjoy something refreshing. We were initially thinking coffee but accidentally fell into the welcoming arms of an ice cream parlour just round the corner from the harbour and it just seemed like the perfect way to round off and celebrate an excellent ride.

View attachment 57974

The only downside to the day was that I didn't wear my gilet for the return crossing and the early evening sea breeze sent my body into panic mode, one of the joys of Reynaud's. "Red alert, red alert! Cool air, hypothermia imminent! Engage emergency protocols, stop that blood from getting to the extremities..." Watching your fingers turn white and lifeless as your body overreacts is always entertaining though as I said to Matt, I'd rather this than hayfever. Still, I was glad when we retreated to the warmth below deck and made sure to retrieve the gilet from my saddlebag before we disembarked in Lymington.

Crossing the Solent at the end of the day - the Needles and Hurst Castle:

View attachment 57972

Many, many thanks to @Mattonsea for a fabulous day out and introducing me to the Isle of Wight. I will be back!

60 miles all told with 1095 meters of climbing.

View attachment 57975
Sounds like a great day, but beans with salad is just wrong! xx(

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Todays ride posted today.. This is getting to be a habit!

I met up with a mate at the Canoe Centre on Bedford Road for a road ride. It's a regular meeting spot as it's a similar distance for all of us living in different parts of the town.
We had no planned route in mind but wanted to pop into Salcey for coffee and cake at some point.
It was a fairly easy ride with no major hills to conquer. Only one Cat 4, I think, on the rad back into Hartwell.

DSC_3260-1.jpg

Lemon Drizzle cake, at my usual stop, washed down with a black coffee. Very tasty. After this, we headed back into the town centre aiming to stop at my mates house for a while, but his Mrs had gone out for a while and he didn't have a key, so we rode to where she was so he could get the key his house but I headed home as I have a few things to do this afternoon (apart from dossing around on the PC)

Image1.jpg

Back on 33 miles, averaging 15.6 mph

http://www.strava.com/activities/202247844

:smile:

Had to bully myself into a ride today, so after checking that I had managed to get the rear indexing partially correct (enough to ride the bike at least) after Tuesday's emergency replacement, and convinced myself that it was cold enough out there for tights/long sleeves and long fingered gloves (it was)... I had finally run out of excuses not to go out on my bike (I had even completed the updating my CV :whistle:) and with the :sun: and blue skies I set off towards Northwich and before long into mist.... that River Weaver has a lot to answer for :dry:. I did have to wonder if I had completely missed how :cold:it was when I was finally overtaken by a male cyclist who was wearing thermal leggings and shorts, 2 tops (both long sleeved), a waterproof top, buff and skull cap plus winter gloves.... all I had on was my autumn weight tights and a long sleeved top, plus gloves (OK sports bra, socks and shoes need to be added to that list - I know what you are all thinking :stop:)... he seemed rather overkill to me, but then he was trying his hardest to sit on my rear wheel without saying hello or telling me he was there... :eek: I think my subtle "HELLO" under my armpit could have been the clue I wasn't happy him doing that...:biggrin:

Then off to work out how to make my ride a touch longer before I got to my parents' home - they are away, I was just using it as somewhere to go to and something to do, plus I could scrounge lunch there (free...:whistle:)... nice morning once I had cycled out of the mist/fog of the Weaver valley and before long it was getting too warm for long sleeves. :sweat:

No piccies and I am sure I will feel better for it at some point, but my bad calf muscle is currently hurting and has played up for around half the ride... don't think it was really in the mood for a 50 mile ride today, but the ride gets me one ride closer to taking my Eddington number to 81... (metric...) and right now I need something to motivate me. my whatever it is called has got up and gone somewhere of its own accord! http://www.strava.com/activities/202288037

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
I thought I'd better make the most of what looks like being the last s/s jersey & shorts outing this year so an afternoons cycling in the autumn sunshine was in order today.
Given the fine conditions & just a slight breeze I headed south across the more open (& flatter) parts of the New Forest through Beaulieu towards, although not to, Lymington on a little 40 mile loop.

http://www.strava.com/activities/202302046

024.JPG

When I started cycling two years ago this, I thought was a hill! Little did I know. :laugh:

025.JPG

The grade 1 listed remains of a 14th century barn at St Leonard's near Beaulieu, thought to have been the biggest in England when built.

031.JPG

The ducks & young swans seemed to be enjoying the sunshine & someone's bread at Hatchetts Pond in the New Forest.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's thursday already - don't know where this week is disappearing to. It was proper autumnal for the ride in this morning - cold with damp air, even if the sun was shining. I opted for the trousers with zip-off legs again. Very useful things, I shall have to get more.:thumbsup: I don't often see other cyclists at the time of day I'm riding but passed one going the other way near Condover and caught up with another in the last mile to work. He was doing a local loop and looked like he was finding it hard going.

The roads weren't too busy either way today which suits me nicely and I made good progress despite taking it gently to rest the legs a bit. The wind helped today - very calm in the morning and this evening was pleasantly warm with a gentle tailwind for the last couple of miles allowing me to edge just over 13 mph average for the round trip.

sgl5gjr

Just back from an evening ride with the Wheelers, trying out a new cycleway ride so we can carry on safely with out Thursday evenings during the winter months...... The Wheelers....a local social cycle group of all ages and abilities.....
Tonight we managed an 8.1 miles at an average of 8.2 mph with a maximum speed of 20.1 mph..... quite impressed with us all. All hi viz and lit up.....shame all the local cyclists we met who were in dark clothing and no lights on :angry::stop::thumbsdown: ...Another new route to try next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom