Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I may have beaten you to it, but your photos are much better than mine! I thought the chap was called Pete, not Paul, but my hearing may have been affected by the voices in my head saying "what are you doing riding this you fool"!
Now you've said that I'm not sure any more.:unsure:

Edit: Think you're right, so I've changed it in my ride report.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's the start of the last week of the temporary work I've been booked to do (although there have been subtle hints I may be asked back again). Being ready to go I decided to set out a few minutes early today into calm and warm conditions (shorts and t-shirt again) but with a sky that became more threatening as the ride progressed. It was busy on the roads at the start so I had to wait ages to get onto the A49, but once on I was generally given plenty of room.

With the air being so still I scooted along at a pretty good pace, especially considering the miles that were clocked up yesterday, averaging over 14mph. About ten minutes after I got to work the heavens opened so I was fairly glad of having started out slightly early.

On the way back it was grey and gloomy enough that I put a tail light on. Didn't seem to help as I had more close passes than usual.:thumbsdown: The view over the hills was pretty moody - no photos this time though due to the battery going flat on my phone.

Having been on my feet all day I finally started to feel the effects of yesterday's ride on the way home so was a bit slow on the way back, especially on the hills. Despite that my average for the round trip stayed just above 13 mph which I'm reasonably happy with.

Last edited:

Archeress

Veteran
Just a short ride today with my fiance rode from Calne to a friends house in Chippenham.

View attachment 57681

We walked with our friend into the town centre where we visited the Rivo Lounge for brunch. After walking back to our friends home, he started his railway in the back garden. I had hoped to have a video edited up for here but I have never edited video before and I'm having problems. Our friend started out with a gravity train of slate wagons, before firing up a butane powered steam loco. I have managed to get a 360 degree panorama of the garden. I hope you can see the rails.

View attachment 57682

During our return ride to Calne my fiance picked up a 3/4 inch thorn in his rear tyre, which I had to repair lol.

No strava on this one. Don't want to lead bandits to my friends front door to nick the locos.

Hugs
Archeress x
I've managed to get the video sorted!

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
More my ride yesterday and the day before....
Saturday was a 121Km run down to Brixworth via Naseby and back via cranoe, glooston and Goadby.
Sunday out to Eyebrook Reservoir. Stopping near Arnesby to help a lady whose child's bike wpouldn't shift gears properly. Turned out the bracket holding the b screw was bent - in effect the b screw didn't engage. Pointed out what was wrong and suggested she could get someone to bend it back....not me as I don't carry pliers with me! They seemed rather happy!
Then off to the reservoir via Hallaton and Horningbold. Back again via Cranoe, Glooston and Goadby.
Nice rides tough I think I should have taken a bit more to eat with me (4 apples)...but I made it back!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
60 miles on the Isle of Wight today, my first visit to the island but most definitely not my last. Loved every minute of it. Proper write up with photos of it and Friday's ride in the New Forest when I'm home and back on the laptop.
Fabulous isn't it? The photo for my avatar was taken on a jaunt across to the isle of Wight on the Lymington to Yarmouth ferry. (A great day out with a friend who is originally from the island and showed me all the best places). I can thoroughly recommend the Spyglass Inn on the seafront at Ventnor - just don't eat too much before setting off back up the hairpins afterwards. Must go back and do the eastern half of the island some time.

gavgav

Guru
It's the start of the last week of the temporary work I've been booked to do (although there have been subtle hints I may be asked back again). Being ready to go I decided to set out a few minutes early today into calm and warm conditions (shorts and t-shirt again) but with a sky that became more threatening as the ride progressed. It was busy on the roads at the start so I had to wait ages to get onto the A49, but once on I was generally given plenty of room.

With the air being so still I scooted along at a pretty good pace, especially considering the miles that were clocked up yesterday, averaging over 14mph. About ten minutes after I got to work the heavens opened so I was fairly glad of having started out slightly early.

On the way back it was grey and gloomy enough that I put a tail light on. Didn't seem to help as I had more close passes than usual.:thumbsdown: The view over the hills was pretty moody - no photos this time though due to the battery going flat on my phone.

Having been on my feet all day I finally started to feel the effects of yesterday's ride on the way home so was a bit slow on the way back, especially on the hills. Despite that my average for the round trip stayed just above 13 mph which I'm reasonably happy with.
I can't even manage 0 mph after yesterday's exertions and walking is a challenge, so much kudos to you!!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
@User9609 What did you use to take these? Lovely pics! :thumbsup:

sgl5gjr

just a quick ride today.... shakedown of the new road bike ...only 6 miles with on the road adjustments/fettling of seat position..... noting to write to local councillors and get them on bikes with 700/23 tyres, then get them not to agree with me about the appalling state of the roads in Cambridgeshire...then on the daily MTB which I use in town/commuting to get my elderly parents prescriptions...... so all in 10 miles today..... I hope...hope the windscreen fitter comes more at the 12 end of the 12-16:00 appointment slot so I can get out again before the rush hour

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Having survived a Cub camp over the weekend I spent yesterdays walking day rested, so today the bike came out. Nothing fancy, a steady pedal along Runnymede Pleasureground into Datchet, crossing the Thames at Victoria Bridge
30 Sept 2014 Victoria Bridge.jpg

As ever, HRH was unavailable for tea, probably sorting the builders out.
30 Sept 2014 Windsor Castle.jpg

Out of Windsor towards Ascot, then home through the park as always. 25 miles today, and the sun came out at the end..

My ride today was terminated abruptly at the bottom of a hill when my rear derailleur cable broke on me... It broke inside the STI lever, with no warning, no dodgy gear changes, so stiff STI lever or any of the other symptoms I have had in the past. It just went in one go as I changed down through the gears from a fast downhill to a crossroads that I should have been turning right at...

It also left with me with only 50/11 or 34/11 and crossing the chain, strangely I don't carry a spare gear cable to college with me, so the only real option was a walk home.... Here's hoping the next cable lasts more than 3,300km! Not impressed.... and sadly neither of the 2 cyclists who went passed me (one at the time of me standing at the side of the road looking at my bike) offered even a hello, let alone a "are you OK?"...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My ride today was terminated abruptly at the bottom of a hill when my rear derailleur cable broke on me... It broke inside the STI lever, with no warning, no dodgy gear changes, so stiff STI lever or any of the other symptoms I have had in the past. It just went in one go as I changed down through the gears from a fast downhill to a crossroads that I should have been turning right at...

It also left with me with only 50/11 or 34/11 and crossing the chain, strangely I don't carry a spare gear cable to college with me, so the only real option was a walk home.... Here's hoping the next cable lasts more than 3,300km! Not impressed.... and sadly neither of the 2 cyclists who went passed me (one at the time of me standing at the side of the road looking at my bike) offered even a hello, let alone a "are you OK?"...
I would have put up with the cross-chaining and used the 34/11, assuming that there were not any steep hills to be climbed.

A possible bodge would be to move the derailleur in by hand and adjust the H endstop to stop the mech going back when you let go of it! :thumbsup:

Another bodge is to pull on what is left of the cable and tie it round one of the tubes on the bike.

I would have put up with the cross-chaining and used the 34/11, assuming that there were not any steep hills to be climbed.

A possible bodge would be to move the derailleur in by hand and adjust the H endstop to stop the mech going back when you let go of it! :thumbsup:

Another bodge is to pull on what is left of the cable and tie it round one of the tubes on the bike.
There is a steep granny gear job in between where I was and home sadly! Hence the walk...

It is the disadvantage of living on the edge of the Delamere hills!

Mattonsea

Über Member
Rode out with coffeejo on Sunday to the Isle of Wight . Weather was perfect for a quick visit for the first time to the Needles . Having spent 40 odd years staring at it from the mainland it was a bit humbling to stand there a few feet away from it .
IsleofWight012_zpsa0db8e17.jpg

Then we tackled the military road with its climbs ,which were punctuated by Jo constantly asking when we were going to turn left !!! We came upon the only set of traffic
lights on the southern half of the island so stopped for a snack by a church and nearly got invited in for Harvest festival lunch . Jo declined due to her devil worshipping tendency's:laugh:.
After dispatching the final hill on the bottom road we breezed in to Nitton and stopped of for lunch at a Post Office / Tea room , where you walk past the owners kitchen and in to the there garden for jacket potato and Coffee and Walnut cake . Then off we went in to the heart of the white isle and traverse the radio masts ..again and again . Several times Jo shot on missing the course and came back cussing , but on we pedalled climbing the hinterland , gorping at the small village churches and the amazing countryside . By this time the toll of my stupid working hours kicked in and started to flag but Jo kept the pace up till coming back to Yarmouth .

After a ice cream and a Jo managing to pick my faults apart, we headed back on the ferry to Lymington . So we covered 60 miles and 3000ft of climbing . :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom